Chapter 6

One month later............................

"Daadi!!!" squealed Gauri hugging her grandmother happily while the older woman laughed at her excitement.

"Acha... you missed me so much...I understand... but let me breath" she croaked out and Gauri left her with a pout.

"Aww...mera bacha...I missed you too..." said the older woman kissing Gauri's cheek "Now come inside and meet your parents...they might get jealous" she whispered the last part making her grand-daughter grin.

Trivedi house in Bareilly was built by the predecessors of the now heirs seventy years ago. Since then, it is known for its grandeur as well as beauty. The mansion stood proudly behind the iron gates which lead to a flower garden lined by rows of trees blooming with flowers, their branches swaying gently to the evening wind. At the threshold stood a delicate marble fountain which ejected water duely falling on to the feet of Lord Shiva and Parvathi standing elegantly in its center.

The mansion had four sides around a central quadrangle and over a thirty rooms. It took a small army of servants to maintain the abode clean and green..

Gauri with her grandmother, entered the living room which at the center was lined with a luscious carpet, family portraits painted in oils and hung in frames on the walls. All the stair rails were made of mahogany, carved and polished to shine. The family who were awaiting the arrival of their princess were seated on the foam filled couches and sofas.

"Agayi...It has been more than three months and her royalty has finally graced us with her presence" said Pinky in all sarcasm.

"Pinky...she just entered and you started to bicker...first give her a hug will you" scolded Shakti and was supported by Gauri's grandfather.

"Maa..!!" exclaimed Gauri...running to her mother giving her a bear hug "You look beautiful in this saree today" she said making her mother narrow her eyes.

"Chal to maska mat lagaa... I am not going to talk to you... You avoid my calls saying you are busy but talk to your daadi for hours together. Go stay with her. You don't need me anyway" she said sniffing into her saree pallu.

Gauri looked at Kalyani worriedly who gave her a told you so look. She then turned to her father with a pleading look and as usual he came to his daughter's rescue.

"Pinky... Gauri loves you more than everyone else...don't you know? ... You always pester her with your marriage talks and that is the reason she doesn't talk on phone. Jhanvi said Gauri brought a designer saree... you were awestruck with when we went to your friend's function last week" Shakti said putting a comforting hand on his wife's shoulder. "She asked me not to tell you so that she could surprise you when she came home. Let her freshen up and she will then show you her gift."

"Really? You selected a saree for me?" said Pinky smiling at her daughter who vigorously nodded her head. "Ohh.. and what did you bring for your daadi?" she asked immediately.

"Nothing maa. I brought the gift only for you. Daadi can get a gift from her son right...I am gifting my mother" she said and Pinky's smile widened.

"Acha... go freshen up. I cooked all your favorites for dinner. We will talk after the meal" said Pinky and Gauri took her chance and flew up the stairs to her room lest her mother started to enquire and caught her father's lie.

**********************************************************************************************

A scrumptious dinner followed, with Gauri animatedly describing her daily routine to her daadu and father while Pinky and Kalyani served them food.