Chapter 3: The past is not your friend

It happened seven years ago. Clara was just eleven months old. She wasn't even aware that she was alive yet and she has no memory of this day even now. Brilan however was seven years old and he would remember that day for the rest of his life. It was a beautiful day in Villurb. It was the afternoon and the sun was just about to set on a perfect day for Brilan and his parents Kyna and Paxwol. 

On this day the family of four had a lot to be happy and thankful for. Brilans father Paxwol had a good day on the family's small farm and his mother Kyna had a good day looking after Clara. They had such a pristinely perfect day that they thought they would end it by going to the town square where a band was going to play.

The happy family of four went down to the town square without knowing that their lives would be changed forever. They made it to the square and started to commingle with their friends from around town. Unfortunately the band never played. Just as the sun was about to fall and set the sky ablaze with a cavalcade of orange and pink, tragedy struck. The Ferean attacked. Three of the giant spider like monsters stampeded through the town and crashed into the square. 

They destroy the cobblestone buildings and crush any form of life that tries to cross their path. This attack was worse than others before it, because most of the people were gathered in one place. That made it easier for the Ferean to kill. As chaos flooded through the streets Brilans family ran along with everyone else who was gathered. But even as the people around them scattered they stayed together.

While the towns' people ran away a Zaubator ran toward the monsters. A Zaubator named Haken the wielder of the hook sword. A sword with a curved hook at the top of the blade. This brave hero has faced many Ferean before and killed them all. As he charges into battle he thinks tonight will be no different from his other battles . . . he thinks. He draws his hook sword and meets one of the ferean in the square. He starts slashing his hook sword at the monstrous creature while the other two ferean go off and knock down a couple of buildings. 

Haken is strong but he can only fight one monster at a time. He attacks this ferean with everything he has. He's able to hook the tip of his sword around one of the fereans legs. He pulls forth and slices the tip of the leg clean off. Blood spurts out the leg while the ferean cries. Haken takes advantage of this weakness and plunges the hook of his sword into the back of the Monsters neck. He pulls its head to the ground and climbs up on top of the monsters back.

Then Haken pulls out a knife from a satchel he keeps on his waist. He stabs the creature in the back with the knife. He leaves the knife in the creatures back but he pulls out a small pin located at the end of the blades handle. After the pin is pulled he quickly jumps off the creatures back and ten seconds later the knife explodes. The Ferean explodes with it. The beast is dead and it was killed by one of Hakens most unique dritellum, the blast knife. 

It's only a knife that explodes but it's surely effective against the Ferean. No time to waste Haken still has two more beasts to slay. He runs over to the second Ferean who is busy eating a two story stone building. Haken raises his sword up and the hooked tip of the hook sword comes flying out from the rest of the blade. The hook is still attached to the blade by some wire that the sword produces.

The hook attaches to the top of a three story building and acts very much like a grappling hook as Haken uses it to pull himself up to the top of that building. Just one of the hook swords extraordinary magical abilities. Now Haken has the High ground and he plans to use that advantage. He jumps off the building towards the beast. Unfortunately the Ferean turns around and smacks Haken out of the air using its large teeth. Haken falls to the ground, hard. That was a bad hit he just took. His hook sword has been knocked out of his hands. He gets back to his feet and squares up against the ferean for one more round. He still has a few tricks up his sleeve.