Chapter 3: Witches in the Air

Martin and Lieutenant Anderson escorted themselves to the ground floor. It was around noon, and the hospital was still busy and bustling, not suited for sharing such important information between the two men.

- Wouldn't it be easier to go to the police station? – asked the detective.

- I would like to stay in the hospital, I want to be close to my girlfriend if she needs me. There's a dining area, next to the buffet I pay a coffee for you, lieutenant.

The detective accepts the offer and minutes later, Martin brought two black coffee at an empty table they will going to share in the corner. Silent, and nobody is there, only the television on the wall gives some noise. Detective Anderson asked for the young man's ID card, just in case.

- Look, son, your prosecution is very serious. Are you really sure that the accident happened on purpose? – he asked seriously.

- I am. – answered Martin with no hesitation. - Yesterday was certainly not an accident, someone wanted to kill her.

Martin's expression is stressful as he thinks back to that fateful spring afternoon. He's clenching his fingers around his black painted nails. He wants to appear calm but his worry is much more visible than he thinks. The detective sips from his coffee and ready to talk with him again.

- Just tell me what happened. It would be easier. Are there any more eyewitnesses?

- No, I'm the only one – Martin swallowed, gathering his thoughts. – It was around 3 p.m. Tea's classes ended, so she was walking back to the dormitories, located only a few streets away. She always leaves campus at the back entrance, because it's not that crowded. I wanted to talk to her, that was another attempt after a million ended in failure. She was angry at me of course as I was running towards her. She was shouting at me while she crossed the road... - Martin stays silent for a moment, letting out a troubled sigh before he continues. - I still tried to approach her but then I heard the sound of a loud, old engine. And in that moment, a rusty, orange truck hit her with such speed she ended up on the windscreen and rolled to the top, then fell on the asphalt with her head and shoulder. When I arrived to her, the driver turned around and left. No license plate, they wore a beanie, a hoodie and sunglasses so I couldn't identify them.

Lieutenant Anderson listened to him patiently, writing every little detail in his notes. He frowns for a second.

- That's rough, buddy. If you told me the truth, then it was really a murder attempt. Is there anyone who hated her? Any enemies?

- No... - Martin shakes his head. – She doesn't have so many friends, but she gets on well with her room mates, and even with my circle of friends too. I can't imagine if someone ever hated her...

The way Martin sees her once girlfriend might be a little bit biased. Maybe he's actually wrong, but he's not aware of it. His heart is hurt and broken but it's completely understandable.

- Why was she angry at you?

Another question that makes the young blonde's stomach to twist. There's a huge disgust on his face as he thinks back. Not for the man before him, not for his love, but towards himself. He did many unacceptable things in the recent months. He doesn't know if he should answer, even the memory of it angers him so much.

- Because I... liked to drink in the past – it finally came out. - I never hurt her, but she couldn't tolerate that vicious circle of partying, being drunk then hangovered and going to a party and drink again.

That's the truth. There was little to no sober hours in his life at university. Lieutenant Anderson lets out a disappointed sigh.

- Oh, son, you fucked up your own relationship.