Past.

Toph.

Walking through the busy city, her hand intertwined with Aang's, her mind was once again, plagued by everything that's happened.

Being out of the hospital and moving around, should have made her feel better. But a heavy feeling in her gut would not go away. She had no idea if it was guilt over Bay-ling, the need to find her killer, trying to find Zuko's mother,or the fact that she recognized a strangers heartbeat.

So much was going on at once, that her head was spinning. Answers were needed and she had no clue on how to find them. They barely had a lead on Ursa. All they knew about the person responsible for Bay-lings death(and her near death) was they wore a dark cloak, and Xiang, she didn't even know what to think. She had to know him, didn't she? She didn't have much of a past. Her parents mainly kept her locked away from the world,and then she was trying to help stop a war, so how did she recognize his heart beat?

"Toph?" Aang's voice snapped her out of her daze. She hadn't realized he had been calling to her.

"I'm sorry, what?" She said.

"I asked if you were hungry." He told her, concern lacing his voice.

"Yea, sure."

"Are you alright?"

"Yea, I'm fine." She knew she was being short with him but she didn't know how to explain what she was feeling.

She just wanted answers.
And she was going to get them.

**********
Aang.

This wasn't like her.

He knew she was upset about everything that had happened but he had a feeling there was more to it.

Arriving at the restaurant, the group walked in and were greeted formally by the host.
The short, balding man bowed.

"Greetings Avatar Aang, Fire Lord Zuko, Fire Lady Katara, Master Toph and Guest. My name is Sa-Jin and I will be your host. Please follow me."
Sa-Jin led them to their table.

People stared with wide eyes as they passed, whisper's rippling through the place. Fire Lord Zuko? That's his wife, a waterbender. Avatar Aang and master Toph were seen together the other night, can you believe it?.

Aang was use to such behavior from other people, but today it bothered him. He knew he and his friends were in the spotlight so to speak but a woman just died cause of a horrible fire and all these people cared about was the latest gossip surrounding him and his friends.

He wrapped his arm around Tophs waist, noticing Zuko do the same with Katara. And a smile broke across his face at the shocked expressions on a few faces.

Hearing a chuckle behind him, he turned to look at Xiang who was watching the scene in amusement.

"Is it always like this?" He asked the group.

"No, sometimes Sokka and Suki are with us." Katara said with a sly grin. Fully aware of the talk going around.

"You kind of get use to it after a while. Though we have given them a lot to talk about now a days." Aang said, smiling down at Toph. A look of pure love on his face. He didn't care what anyone had to say, he loved this small, strong, incredible woman and he'd shout it from the high mountains if she'd let him.

"Here's your table and menus. I'll be right back with some nice hot tea." Sa-Jin left with a bow and a polite smile.

"So, that fire was pretty bad huh?" Toph said as soon as she sat down. Knowing the people around them would hang on their every word, Aang took the hint.