Chapter 13 - Let's Work Together

Darren was not prepared for that revelation. If the hunter had been killed by a werewolf and the humans from Red Point found out, it could spell disaster. Particularly because the police there only agreed to keep the werewolf pack a secret so long as they were never harmed.

    "Are they sure?" Darren asked stupidly.

    "There's no doubt. It was werewolf fur that they found on the body, plus the injuries were pretty telling."

    Darren took a step back and ran a hand through is hair. "So what does this mean for the pack?"

    Jasper sighed. "We don't know. For now, the humans think he died in a hunting accident, which gives us time to find the real killer. Once we do, we'll at least be able to try and settle things as soon as they escalate."

    The two fell silent as they mulled over their situation. Sophie was sitting at a picnic table near the playground, watching them, but unable to hear. If she found out about this...

    "You saw the hunter's ghost that night, didn't you?" Jasper suddenly asked.

    "Yeah. He showed me where his body was. I thought I told you that?"

    "Not exactly. You mentioned you could see the dead but you didn't specifically say it was the hunters ghost that told you were to find the body. Did...Could he say anything to you?"

    That was a weird question. "No. He was silent. All he did was point the way."

    "Is it normal for a ghost to retain disabilities?"

    "What do you mean?" Darren wondered, a bit perplexed. "Are you saying he couldn't talk when he was alive?"

    "He was deaf according to his autopsy. His name was Alfred White. He was a human from a few towns over who just renewed his hunting license this year. We think he may have gotten lost in the woods when the attack happened. Then there's the pheromones that were used to hide his scent."

    The rogue nodded as the man gave him more info on the victim. It made sense. The hunter hadn't even tried to speak to Darren. As a matter of fact, the ghost didn't react to anything he said unless he was facing Darren directly. Perhaps the man could read lips?

    "Do you think he can tell us who did it?" The Alpha pushed.

    The determination in Jasper's eyes made Darren think that this was really what the man had sought him out for. "No." The rogue replied. "He passed on as soon as we found his body."

    "Really? Wouldn't he want to stick around until he got justice for his murder?"

    "Not quite. Since all he wanted was to have his body found, he probably didn't know he was murdered..." Darren started pacing as his mind worked through the details. " Which meant he was probably attacked from behind. So that means the killing was unplanned. Plus he was from a whole other town, so he had nothing to do with the pack. Maybe he found something?" Darren stopped. "How old was the body?"

    "A couple weeks." Jasper replied as he listened to the rogue talk.

    Darren huffed in response. "So there won't be any tracks left to find. I'm betting he stumbled on something the murderer didn't want found, but the guy didn't know it, otherwise his spirit would have stuck around like you said. If we can figure out his hunting path, then maybe we can find what he found. I'm betting it may have something to do with the missing kids."

    The Alpha tilted his head. "That's a good idea actually. We can ask the people of Red Point if they saw him in town and where he entered the woods from. It's a long shot, but it's better than what we had before. Are you sure you're just a construction worker? You seem pretty good at this."