Naegami: The Visit [PR]

[PR] - Past Relationship

DING DONG!

"Hey!" Makoto flung open the door to his apartment, wearing a bright smile. "I'm so glad you could come!"

He stepped aside so that I could come in.

"Of course, I would never miss it." I assured him.

"Here, sit down. I made cupcakes!" As if on cue, a loud beeping noise came from the kitchen. "Oh! That's them."

I watched his back as he ran into the kitchen.  He was adorable in a white tee shirt, cuffed jeans, and a blue apron. I took a seat at his bland wooden table, trying my best not to fidget too much.

His apartment was small, but the open windows let in beautiful sunlight and the sounds of birds chirping. Bright and full of life, just like him.

I had missed him so much ever since we graduated high school. He won another lottery and was attending college for free, whereas I took an accelerated course online just to get the papers and moved immediately to running the corporation.

It was a suffocating job, sitting at a desk, taking calls, attending meetings, giving lectures, ordering around a secretary. Now more than ever I remembered the conversations we had in school.

"If I'm happy with the life I've made for myself, that's all that matters!"

If nothing else, I felt like a fool. Talking down to him like that, bragging about my inheritance and the future in front of me. I was the farthest thing from happy.

So it hurt a little, to see Naegi in such a tiny space with such a big smile. I wonder too often how life would be if he accepted my secretary offer.

Much less boring, a lot more smiles and sunny windows for sure...

Makoto shuffled back into the room, piping hot rack of cupcakes and icing bags in hand.

"I thought we could decorate them together!" He said cheerfully.

"Decorate...? I've never done such a thing." I looked down at the ziplock bags of icing on the table.

"Really? Well it's simple. Just squeeze that bag over the cupcakes in a swirl motion to cover it with icing. I've got all sorts of tips here... Ah! This one makes little hearts!!" He beamed.

I couldn't help but blush a little at his cuteness.

"Aww don't tell me you missed me Togami!" He said, reading me like a book.

"Ah, no no I haven't missed you..." I lied horribly. "I'm just a little hot..."

"Don't sell yourself short buddy! Too much short here already!" He playfully pointed at himself. "How's life up at Togami corp?"

"Ah... it's... fine." I looked away, suddenly unable to meet his eyes.

"Not what you thought it'd be?" He frowned, his shoulders drooping.

"I guess you could say that. I... miss being able to see you every day." I admitted. Makoto bit his thumb in concern before placing the cupcake rack on the table and sitting down next to me.

"I hoped you wouldn't say that, but I won't lie and say I didn't predict it. You're lightyears above me, it's gotta get lonely up there." He gave a sad smile.

"N-no, I'm not above you. You're happy here, living life the way you want to."

"I never thought I'd hear you say anyone was better than you." He laughed worriedly. "You're free to stop by any time, even if I'm not home." He dug through his pockets, pulling out a key.