First Day Jitters

5:00 AM

It's gonna be quite the first day. I can feel it in my bones.

After playing chess at the park with Spencer yesterday I bid him farewell to have a night to myself before adjusting to this new, hectic, and unpredictable schedule. Who knows when the next time it'll be before I have some free time. Needless to say, it was night of relaxation and bliss and I couldn't have asked for more. Who knew face masks and chocolate could be so luxurious.

I wanted to get a head start on the day before I had to be at the office at 7:30. I got up made myself a protein shake and had it along with some scrambled eggs and toast with strawberry jam. Breakfast is honestly the only thing to get me going for the day, other than coffee which I had following my breakfast.

I got ready and decided to wear a black turtleneck tucked into a matching gray plaid pant/blazer set, pairing it with black pumps. I'll be doing some administrative work and training today so I have comfortable & athletic clothes packed in my go-bag.

I brushed my hair out and left it down, tucking it behind my ears

I brushed my hair out and left it down, tucking it behind my ears. I powdered my face, added some blush, coated my lashes in mascara, and topped my lips with a nude lipstick. I was ready for the day.

Hotch wanted me to get there at 7:30 before the team got there so we could chat about my training and how long it'll be before I get to go out in the field, as well as some logistics that come along with working with another family member which is understandable. He also wanted me to meet the whole team all at once so we all could go about our business without the hassle of lots of introductions.

7:15AM
I arrive at the office at 7:15, no one is there but Hotch. He's in his office with his brows furrowed, deep in thought. I knock on his door announcing that I'm here. In a "it's 7:15 in the morning and I don't want to be obnoxious" type of announcing.

"Good morning sir, is it okay if I come in? I know I'm a bit early" I say only peeking into the doorway

"Ella, of course, come in. Take a seat." He says as I close the door behind me, taking the seat across from his desk.
"I have some paperwork for you to sign regarding work with your sister, this is stating that you two will rotate on the times that you are in the field. You also cannot go into the field together, it's a protocol that the Bureau has set in place so that every agent can have a clear head to do their job and not worry about the safety of their loved ones. We never want to put you two in a situation where you feel compromised because of your familial relationship. JJ has already signed her name, I just need your signature." He says, sliding the document towards me where I sign and hand the document back.

"I also want to mention that the training you will be doing is a month. Over this month you may be assigned on cases but it's highly unlikely. You will have to pass your fitness test, as well as your firearms test in order to carry a weapon in the field. The training that you will do will be grueling but it will be over before you know it and you'll be on the job with us in no time."

"Sounds great to me. I'm looking forward to all of it sir, this truly is a dream come true" I say eager to get started

"Welcome to the team Agent Kennedy" he says, shaking my hand "let's introduce you to the team shall we?" He says, escorting me out of the office.

Here we go.

Spencer's POV

"Morgan, who's with Hotch in his office?" I asked Morgan, wondering if he had an idea. His blinds were barely open, so I couldn't quite see who it was.
He shook his head no, not really having a clue.

"That would be my SISTER," JJ said, as I whip my head around to see her enter the bullpen, carrying two cups of coffee. "She is joining the team" she says setting one on the newbie's desk, "Eleanor Jareau"

"No way! That's so cool! I can't wait to meet her" I respond to her enthusiasm.

"Everyone, this is Eleanor or as she likes to be called Ella, she is joining the BAU- let's give her a warm welcome and then let's get to work" Hotch says as I finally meet her eyes. Ella. No fucking way.

Ella's POV

I meet his eyes. No fucking way. The familiar face I was playing chess with less than 24 hours ago works at the same place that I do? Go figure. I can see him trying to play it off like we don't know each other so I try to go with the flow. I hug JJ as she goes off to talk with Hotch about some case they finished the week prior. I introduce myself to the man making fun of Spencer for how much sugar he puts in his coffee which is oddly enough the same amount as me. His name is Derek Morgan, I think we'll get along really well. David Rossi, was the next man I met, he's older with seemingly lots of money from what Derek has said, which is cool...I guess? I'm more of a sucker for his work. I was introduced to Agent Blake briefly before she had to go to a meeting, a lovely lady.

Then there were 2. My desk right across the aisle from his.

"Soooo. Dr. Spencer Reid" I say picking up his name plate

"Agent Eleanor Jareau" he says, sensing the vibe that I'm putting down. "So, this is the job you got?" he says, slightly making fun of me and our conversations over the last few days

"It is the job I got, 10 points to you for catching on" I wink at him and then walk over to my desk taking a seat as he laughs at my horrible attempt at joking.

"Well, congratulations again, I guess we'll be seeing more of each other now that we're colleagues" he says tapping his pen on his desk looking back and forth from the pen to me.

"I guess so, Dr. Reid" I say while I keep making eye contact with him while I take a sip of my coffee. 5 sugars, 2 creamers. Just the way I like it. Spencer too, apparently. "You know, I never got your number Spencer" I say- feeling insanely bold on my first day of work, and before he gets a word in to give me his number Hotch cuts our conversation short

"Ella, Anderson here will be taking you to training for today." He says, noticing the tension between myself and Reid.

"Reid, we have a case" he says to Reid who quickly packs up his things.

"Guess that'll just have to wait a bit Spence. See ya" i say as I kick up from my chair, grabbing my go-bag and stumbling out the door with Anderson. This is going to be one HELL of a job.