The truth is out... or is it? (Chapter V)

A tense silence filled the room as Ceren pressed play, with a victorious smile. Finally, she can prove herself a worthy ally to Nedim and her sister. They can mend their fractured relationship. For the first time, she thought she'll do some good, that fit in her agenda of becoming a rich woman. And yet...

You could only hear the empty buzzing of the static coming from the pen. The recording, the only evidence of Nedim's innocence was deleted, courtesy of babaanne.

Shocks and gasps were heard throughout the courtroom. Cenk smiled wickedly in Nedim's direction like a wolf to his prey, showing all of his teeth, contorting his face into a grimace. In his mind, a man who took everything from him will finally pay for his greatest sin: being alive.

Agah buried his head in his hands, seeming like he is worried for his nephew in the eyes of the public, yet secretly hoping this will soon be over and he could work on his ultimate agenda, to deem Nedim unfit to be the major shareholder of the company. This situation was a welcome ace in his sleeve, as an attempted murderer can't be the face of one of Turkey's most famous companies. He already had his lawyer draft up a letter of resignation which he will give to Nedim to sign. He had no qualms about it, his brother's emanet was fulfilled as soon as he got Nedim on his feet. The boy has no one to blame but his ambition and black heart, he thought. My debt is paid, brother. Time to look after my family.

Damla was too busy trying to get #cancelthemurderernedimkaracay trending on Twitter to know or care about her surroundings.

The judge has had enough: This is a courtroom, not a market! Guards, escort these young ladies outside, I haven't finished my ruling.

Cemre was desperate. She didn't know how to help her beloved one. She had used up all the tricks she had, and by the looks of it, failed to do anything of importance. She helplessly watched as the judge was getting ready to put down the gavel and make the sentence official.

However, one more surprising guest had arrived, and none of them noticed her. No one, except him. He noticed every move she made. If looks could kill...

Mrs. Seniz Karacay walked into the courtroom, looking beautiful as ever, and, if this wasn't a trial for an attempt on her life, no one could notice anything out of the ordinary in her appearance, except for a bandage on her hand, a twin set with Nedim's.

- Honorable judge, I am the victim, Seniz Karacay. I know it is out of the ordinary, but I would like to say a few words. - she uttered slowly, seductively, yet in a strangely vulnerable manner. She had that tone perfected to a T, usually with Agah or Damla, like a snake charmer or a hypnotist. Sure enough, here it also worked.

- It is a bit unusual, madam, we have almost finished sentencing, but technically the trial is still on until the ruling is set, so, yeah, we shall make an exception. - the judge uttered.

- Thank you, your honor. As you might have heard previously, I am this young man's aunt. I have watched over Nedim since his parents have died when he was only six. I have never made any difference between him and my own children, she said, looking Nedim right in the eye. He was wondering, what was her endgame?

Cenk looked at his mother as she lied profusely and understood what she was doing; she was getting into Agah's good graces. Ok, Anne, let's see how far you'll go. Hopefully, you won't ruin everything now.

- In short, your honor, Nedim was like a son to me always. Whatever he did, I forgive him. I want to withdraw the lawsuit.- she said exasperatedly while holding a handkerchief in her hurt hand.

- Are you sure madam? - the judge asked, surprised. - The defendant gave admission of guilt already. This was an open and shut case.

- Yes, your honor, I am. Nedim suffered so much trauma in his young life. I couldn't bear to see him in such a place over a simple misunderstanding. I have already consulted with my lawyer, assault in the family is a private lawsuit, which means only I can press charges and only I can withdraw them. So, for the sake of peace in my fractured family... Let my boy go. - Check and mate, my Nedimcim. This will turn out even better in the long haul for me.

Cemre was watching the whole thing play out, smugly, knowing full well her gambit had worked.

Cut to a flashback in the hospital room that morning, Cemre is standing next to Seniz's bed with a piece of paper, Oya is waiting for her outside:

- Have I made myself clear, Seniz hanim? Drop the charges against Nedim or everyone, and I do mean everyone, will see this paper. I don't want to disrupt their worlds, but for Nedim, I will do whatever it takes, including this filthy thing!

- Vay be, here I was, fearing your immoral sister, when all along, you were a thorn in my heel. You know that no one would believe you even if you show them such a paper. Heck, Damla saw all the evidence against me and still thought Nedim had forged them. Power of persuasion is a very delicate skill, Cemre hanim, and you don't have it.

- OK, fine. But, I do have this. And a witness. I came prepared this time, Seniz hanim. True, I am not as skilled as you are in this blackmail thing, yet, I am a fast learner. And, right now, I have nothing to lose.

It was true. Even though her whole body trembled before coming to her, without Nedim in her life, nothing else mattered. And she made damn sure Seniz would realize that too.

- Little girl, you have no idea who you are threatening right now. - Seniz began her usual tactic. - I will destroy you and everything you hold dear.

- Nedim. Just fix your mess and we'll be out of your life. I can't wait to have any ties with you or your son. Too bad, if you haven't feed him with hate, he could have had a brother, not an enemy. Yazik sana. - she said as she was leaving her room.

Cemre would later question Oya's interest in Nedim, but right now, she was a powerful ally with a bone to pick with the Karacays, so she didn't mind too much having her working with.

Even though she put on a strong act in front of zavali hemsire, Seniz knew she had to play ball, at least for now. So, she concocted a different plan.

And, just like that, Nedim Karacay was a free man. But, at what cost?