CHAPTER 24: "I CAN'T STAY HERE"

JAMES

“How’s he doing today?” James asks, slipping into Anthony’s hospital room. He wishes more than anything that he could stay with his friend as much as Summer did, but Carol and Harley both need him around.

“He’s getting there,” Summer says with a little more optimism in her voice than James is used to hearing from her and brushes Anthony’s cheek with her hand. “He’s getting a little better at staying awake for more than ten minutes.”

“Do the doctors think this is a permanent thing?” He inquires as he sits down on the edge of Anthony’s bed.

“They don’t know,” Summer replies. “But they did say he can go home at the end of the week and start physical therapy.”

“What does he need PT for?” James asks, feeling increasingly worse for not being able to make it to the hospital for a few days due to the incredibly busy court schedule.

“Voluntary muscle movement.” James jumps, not expecting Anthony to be the one to answer. “Apparently my brain still has the full capability to tell my legs how to work, it just doesn’t want to.”

“I’m sorry baby bro” James says resting one hand on Anthony’s knee.

“Nah,” he shrugs. “I learned to walk once, I can do it again. Plus,” Anthony shows off a cheeky grin, which is the happiest James has seen him since he woke up, “I’m really going to enjoy making you and Summer push me around in a wheelchair for the next few weeks.”

“And what makes you so sure we won’t make you wheel yourself around?” Summer jokes.

“My depth perception is down the drain,” Anthony says frankly. “You two love me too much to let me run into walls.”

“Your depth perception?” James asks, more guilt settling deep in his gut. He should have been here for those tests. He should’ve been with him every step of the way.

“Yeah, that little piece of led screwed shit up,” Anthony says flatly. “But on the bright side, your favorite look will be coming back.”

“My favorite look?”

“The glasses are coming back,” Anthony replies giving James a playful smile.

“Wait coming back?” Summer pipes up. “You didn’t tell me you used to wear glasses.”

“It was a dark time I try not remember,” Anthony says somberly.

“Summer, don’t listen to him. He looks stunning in glasses.”

“He always looks stunning,” Summer says giving Anthony’s hand a firm squeeze. Anthony beams at her with a look of pure joy and James wonders if they know just how in love they are. He can practically feel their love for each other crackling in the air.

“Anything else I need to know about?” James asks, hoping desperately that he didn’t miss anything else.

“That’s it,” Anthony says. “No other surprises.”

“I’m sorry I wasn’t here,” James says sincerely.

“It’s okay Brother” Tony says and sits up a little. “I know it’s hard for you to see me in the hospital like this again, and I know how busy the life of a lawyer can be.” James sniff, not wanting his tears to pour down

“I should have been here more though,” James replies while looking up, guarding his tears

“You’re here now,” Anthony says fondly and pats his hand. “That’s what matters, plus it was only two days.”