Run

She ran.

Running wasn't her thing at all. She'd much rather be curled up in her big brown recliner near the fireplace, book in hand and her lazy cat in her lap. She'd rather be in a library somewhere in the corner doing a project or book report. She'd rather be back in her parent's home, yelling and screaming ripping through the walls as she tried and failed to drown out the hatred her parents carried for each other. She'd rather be anywhere but where she was.

It was dark and cold in the woods. The ground was hard and freezing with twigs, rocks, and leaves scattered all over the forest floor. The trees were larger than life, the trunks were thick, the roots were somewhat above ground not enough to trip her but enough to cause her more pain as she ran for her life. The cackling behind her only spurred her to run faster, get farther, push herself harder. She had to get away. Her clothes were torn and a few pieces were taken. She wore a ripped up white undershirt and blue jeans that were not meant to be ripped at the knees but were due to her falling several times. Her favorite pair of light brown boots had been taken at some point, most likely by the cackling monster that was chasing her.

Her lungs were burning and she had lost track of time. How did she even get to where she was? Her legs were on the verge of giving out beneath her, they were just barely holding on because of the terror behind her. Her feet were bleeding and she was growing colder by the second. The thing behind her was not in any way human. It couldn't have been. It was all sharp teeth and long claw-like nails. It's eyes were a crimson red that shined through the darkness of the night. Those eyes were haunting. Soulless and hungry and set on taking the girl's life.

The only thing that brought her solace was that while the cackling wasn't getting farther away, it wasn't getting any closer. She wanted to be optimistic, to think that if she just kept running the thing would grow too tired and stop chasing her. So she kept running.

She wasn't running. 

She was at home in her favorite easy chair with her cat, Muffin, and a good sci-fi novel. The sound of the fire in the fireplace crackled quietly mixing into the background with the soft sounds of rain drops tapping against the roof and the gravel outside. Her home was in the woods. She wasn't some recluse living in a cabin deep in the woods at the edge of town though. She was in a nice two story house in a clearing in the woods almost  on the edge of town. She had many friends from her days in college and a nice job that she loves.

She works at a small bookstore. It doesn't get much foot traffic like the bigger bookstores, but that made it better. The store was small and the book selection even smaller, but all the books that she loved were there. She had found the store about two years ago on accident. It was late at night and she was walking back to her apartment on her college campus after a night out at the club. It wasn't her scene but it was to celebrate her friend turning 21 years old. Her friends had decided to go bar hopping, but she chose to go home instead.

Along the way she nearly passed a small almost invisible shop. It had dim lighting and a nice wooden sign hanging above the sidewalk. Like the shops from every anime where the main character is taken to a new world that has no cell phones or cars or indoor pluming. You know the kind. She felt like she was in another world.

Walking into the building she could see that it was a bookstore. There were 6 bookshelves in the center of the room and 3 on the left and right walls. There was a small counter that had a register but no one behind it to the left of the door. There was also a door in the back right corner that most likely led to an office or storage. The bell above the door had rang as the door opened revealing the girl's entrance. The warmth of the store coated her skin like a blanket giving her goosebumps from having been in the cold just moments ago.

I... don't know what to write next. I've said before that not all of these stories will be finished but I feel bad just leaving it here. If you want to comment what you'd like to see happen next in this story feel free to do so.

Until next time bye bye~