Chapter Five: Reflection

Hinata cried into his pillow for what seemed like hours. So much was going through his head. The same question kept repeating itself inside his mind:

"Am I in love with Fìonn?"

Surely not! They've only just met! How can feelings of love already be uttered. That's impossible!

Well... Suppose not. There is, of course, such a thing as Love at first sight.

"No way!" Hinata said to himself. That surely can't be a real thing. That's only true in movies and TV shows. This is real life.

He lies in silence for a few moments. He reaches into his pocket to retrieve his phone. There's a few text messages:

Text Message 1 – Kageyama: Hey dumbass! Suga said you collapsed in class like a wimp! Don't be pansying out of practice tomorrow!

"Hmm..." Hinata thought. "Maybe I could ask Kageyama about this...actually, better not!"

Text Message 2 – Suga: Hey Hinata! I hope you're OK after that little scare! Please make sure you get some rest. See you soon.

"AH! I'll ask Suga about it tomorrow" Hinata decided.

With that plan in mind, Hinata decided to try and get some sleep. A proper night's sleep...........

Morning arrives and Hinata is up and ready. Already feeling better after last night. He has breakfast and then heads off to school. As he walks up the street, he can see Kageyama walking up ahead:

"KAGEYAMA! WAIT UP!" Hinata waves franticly.

"Morning Dumbass! You feeling better, I assume?"

"Yes! Much better"

"You better be!" Kageyama exclaims.

They start to walk towards the school in silence. Hinata decides to just bite the bullet and ask:

"Kageyama!?"

"What do you want!?"

"Do you...believe in such a thing as... love at first sight?"

"What!? Why the hell are you asking that!?"

"I'm just...curious about what you think"

"No of course not. There's no such thing as love at first sight. Don't be such a dumbass!"

"OK...thanks..."

Well, kind of expected that to be his answer. Not sure if that was entirely helpful though.

Hinata knew that today was going to be tough. Especially Homeroom. Having to sit next to Fìonn. After the way he treated him. But... not quite ready to face him.

Hinata takes a deep breath and opens the classroom door. Fìonn is at his desk, talking to Sara and other classmates.

Hinata sits at his desk and immediately looks the other way.

*Bang!* Hands harshly hit Hinata's desk. He swiftly looks up in shock to see the owner of the hands. It's Sara, looking down at him with an angry expression on her face.

"You're a jerk! What is wrong with you!? Why did you treat Fìonn that way!? All he was trying to do was help you and you treat him like crap!!" She shouts

The room goes quiet as other students pause their own conversations to see what was going on

"Sara! It's fine! Just leave it!" Fìonn says reassuringly.

"It's not fine! Hinata was being a jerk!" She says furiously

In defence, Hinata just scoffs at Sara and looks away

"Grrr....!" Sara growls, her face getting red with anger. "You're a complete waste of space!"

"Whatever..." Hinata responds. Putting on a brave face. Except inside, he's sad.

Hinata spent the rest of class avoiding any eye contact with Fìonn. Nothing excuses his behaviour, but...he can't help himself. He can't seem to control himself right now. He think it just best to...ignore Fìonn from now on. Maybe these feelings will go away and he can get back to...normal.

Finally! School is over. Time for volleyball practice. That's normal. That should help.

Hinata rushes to the gym and bursts through the doors. Suga and Daichi are already there:

"Hinata! You're back! How you feeling?" Daichi says with a smile as he jostles Hinata's hair.

"Much better thanks!" Hinata says with a smile.

"That's good to hear! Go and get changed. We need to start practice ASAP!" Suga chimes.

Hinata nods and heads off to the changing room. He's not going to think about today or Fìonn... just volleyball. Volleyball is his life. Volleyball is all that matters.

The rest of the team welcome him back and ask if he's feeling better.

Coach Ukai calls on the team to start and to stop chit-chatting.

"This is it". Hinata thought. Back where he wants to be. On the volleyball court. Playing the game he loves the most, but...something was a little off. He just wasn't...in the zone...something...isn't quite right...

Practice is over. Everyone changes and collects their things, say their goodbyes and head home. Except for Hinata. He sits on the bench, staring into space. Suga walks in and notices Hinata sitting there...

"Is everything alright?" He asks

"Yeah...Suga, I'm fine"

"What's the matter? You seemed a bit distracted today".

"I...uhm...never mind. It's nothing"

"No no. Talk to me. I'm here to listen" Suga insists.

Hinata thinks for a minute.............

"I treated someone very badly, recently"

"How so?"

"I was very mean. Actually, quite horrible and rude to someone who was only trying to help"

"I see...Have you apologised?"

"No, I just avoided him. I'm too embarrassed"

"Well, you're not going to feel better until you say sorry. You're a nice boy, Hinata. I know you'll do the right thing"

"Yeah, you're right. Thanks Suga"

"Anytime!" responds Suga as he gets up to leave

"Oh Suga!?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you...believe in love at first sight?"

"Oh absolutely!"

"Really!?" Hinata responds in shock

"Of course! I totally believe in that. How come?"

"N-no reason...I was just curious..."

"Oh OK. See you tomorrow, Hinata"