Chapter Seventy

Chapter Seventy

Four hours had passed since Hendricks had locked me up. I could tell because he had a big, noisy grandfather clock set up along the wall across from me. During that time, I had paced my cage, bitten my collar, scratched at it, and tried to chew on the bars, all to Hendricks' great amusement. My teeth and claws were both sore now, and my collar hadn't budged an inch. I couldn't even adjust it, even though my fur underneath it was starting to itch. It may as well have been glued to me.

"Oh, don't stop yet," he said, taking a sip from the wine glass in his hand. "I'm sure it'll come off any time now!"

I growled at him, but went to lie down in the corner. I was completely at his mercy here, especially when he was right there watching me. I just had to accept that— for now, at least.

As I lay there, I began to wonder about other things. Who had bought me? Was it another demon, or some other type of magic criminal? What would they want with a Silverblood werewolf? I could think of dozens of possibilities, but none of them required a wolf that was immune to silver. And what about Kimberly? With me gone, she had nobody to take care of her. Nobody to cook for her, nobody to help take care of that bump on her head. Even more importantly, nobody to be with her on the night of her first change. The full moon was only five days away, and getting closer by the minute. And here I was, the only person who could help her, stuck in a cage and waiting to be sold to the highest bidder. I growled again, to myself this time. It wasn't too late. I could still get out of this, but not if I'd already given up. Shooting Hendricks a venomous glare, I sat up and started clawing at the collar again. The demon laughed, but I ignored him. We'd see who'd be laughing when I—

"Boss!" a shrill voice shrieked, breaking through my concentration. I stood up and saw the hyena monster from before walk into the room. In its jaws, it carried a bloody, gangly mess.

Oh my crap, I thought when I recognized it, and backed away. How the hell is he still alive?

"Well, it's about time you got back," Hendricks said, barely glancing at them as he took another sip of wine. "I expect more punctuality from my workers."

"Boss, it hurts!" the Octopus whined, hanging limp from the hyena's mouth. "Make it stop!"

"Why should I do that?" he snapped. "I gave you one simple job: get rid of Victor. And yet I still had to do it myself. Got myself stabbed in the process. Why should I reward you for that?"

The Octopus whined again, and I almost felt sorry for him. Until I remembered what he'd been doing to my mom for the past month.

"Help!" he pleaded, his blood still dripping steadily onto the floor beneath him.

Hendricks sighed dramatically and set his glass down. "Oh, very well, you pathetic excuse for a man." He picked up his cane and gave it a lazy flick. Immediately, the Octopus started the scream. His body writhed and contorted, and the hyena dropped him and backed away. His body kept convulsing, and the sounds of his screams echoed so much in the stone room that they were almost deafening. I felt like I was going to be sick watching him, but I couldn't pull my eyes away. His arms and legs all stretched out away from his body, and I could hear popping as they set themselves back in place. The red, exposed muscles that the road had torn away turned white again as pale skin grew to cover them. It went on for several minutes before he finally fell still with one last moan.