Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

I didn't try to sleep or eat after I was returned to my room. I didn't even put on new clothes. I just sat in the corner, curled up in a ball with Dex's jacket wrapped around me, shaking like a crack addict. Tears fell down my face, but I didn't cry or even whimper. The only movement I made was to rock back and forth occasionally.

I could barely see the room around me through the visions that plagued my mind. Even now, poor little Kimberly was probably locked in a cage that wouldn't fit a small dog, with acid being administered to her through a tube. She would be scared and confused. She didn't know why this was happening to her. I hadn't even had time to tell her she was a werewolf. I saw the tall imposing figure that was Victor stand over her, his rock-hard face not betraying an ounce of sympathy. How loud would she scream?

"Snap out of it, girl!" I blinked in surprise, and I realized that I hadn't imagined Victor standing there- he was actually here in the room with me. The door stood open behind him. I hadn't even heard him unlock it.

"I knocked for five minutes," he griped irritably, his eyes narrowed in displeasure. "The least you could have done was get dressed."

I tugged Dex's jacket tighter around myself, ashamed of my nakedness but unable to summon the energy to do anything about it.

"The board of directors wishes to see you again," he said. "Now."

He waited expectantly for a few seconds, but when I didn't immediately hop up on my feet, his expression turned from one of annoyance to anger.

"We cannot keep the directors waiting, you stupid girl!" he snapped. "Get dressed!"

And just like that, I sprang to my feet and dropped Dex's jacket, heedless of being naked in front of the terrifying man. I went to the dresser and opened the one of the drawers to find a full set of clothes and another pair of shoes waiting inside. I put them on as quickly as I could under Victor's watchful eye, unable to be anything less than completely obedient.

"So it's true," he mused thoughtfully as I got dressed. "You really have turned submissive."

I wanted to ask him what that meant, but I remembered his instructions the previous day not to interrupt him, and kept my mouth shut. I still wasn't sure what was going on with me. Since the other werewolf had thrashed me, I hadn't been able to summon even the slightest amount of confidence. I told myself it was probably because of what had happened to Kimberly, but deep down I knew that wasn't true. It had started before Kimberly had been taken away- the moment I had accepted defeat at the other wolf's hands.

I slipped the shirt on over my head, feeling a little better now that Victor couldn't ogle me. To my surprise, I even felt grateful to him for telling me to get dressed, because I wouldn't have done it on my own. I turned to look at him expectantly, but when I met his eyes I blushed and turned me head down so I was staring at his shoes.