Birthday Killed

More letters started to come in the next few days prior to Uncle Vernon not giving us them. Some came through the most unusual places--the milk cartons, the toaster. Dozens kept coming.

"What do you think they want from us?" I whispered to Harry.

"Whatever it is, they clearly want to annoy Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia." Harry said darkly and I snickered. "Tomorrow, I'll wait for the postman at the end of Privet drive and make him give us our letters before Uncle Vernon can get them. I'll let you sleep in." He gave me a soft smile and I returned it, sauntering upstairs to our new bedroom. I passed Dudley in the hallway and he gave me a pathetic glare. I snarled at him and he squeaked, hurrying down the stairs probably to tell me off.

Later that night after we had evacuated the house from the letters, I had a dream. It was an odd one, but not as odd as all my other ones.

I was staring up at a man that looked highly like me. The man smiled down at me and ruffled my hair, causing a woman in the background to call him out at messing up my hair. My hazel eyes blinked, curious to what he was going to do. The man pulled something from his pocket and threw it at me. On instinct, I caught it and stared at the little golden ball. Its wings fluttered gently in my palm.

"My little Jami." He whispered. "Remember, I'll always be proud of you. Take care of your brother. Keep the both of you safe. I love you."

Little me squeaked as he picked me up and placed me in a crib, next to Harry who was staring up at our mother. I gripped onto my brother's tiny hand as our mother and father stared down at us.

The dream ended and I jolted awake on the floor. Harry was already awake, gazing at Dudley's watch that slowly ticked closer to our birthday. 9 seconds.

I looked at Harry who had started to draw a cake in the dirt of the saddest house I had ever set foot in. He drew swirls in it and added stars and flowers.

4 seconds. I stared at the dirt cake mournfully.

3 seconds. Almost to 11.

2 seconds.

1 second. The clock turned 12 o'clock. Harry and I turned to each other and smiled sadly.

BOOM.

 The whole shack shivered and we sat bolt upright, staring at the door. Someone was outside, knocking to come in.