An Unexpected Swim

It was just what it looked like in the movies. Huge towers, banners that flew in every direction. I stared up at it with awe, not caring if my mouth was hanging open. Next to me, Malfoy sniggered when he noticed my expression.

"First time seeing a castle, dream girl? Not surprised--you spent most of your life hanging out under the stairs." He smirked.

I elbowed him in the ribs. "Be quiet, Malfoy."

"Oh, using last names are we now, Potter? Better watch it." He snorted.

I didn't respond, following the rest of the first years to the boats. When I went to climb into one, I stumbled and fell into the frigid water. People gasped. Harry went to help me out but he was struggling to do so. As if something was keeping him from helping me.

"Potter--here, take my hand." Malfoy was leaning over the side of a boat, his hand stretched out.

I reached out and clasped his warm hand. He tried his best to pull me out but I was too heavy for him to do it alone. The last thing I saw was his grey eyes filled with despair before the black water closed over me. I drifted there in the depths of the lake, wanting to do nothing but to allow the darkness to overtake me.

A hazy image of my father appeared. He smiled warmly at me and I felt the urge to cry. He stretched out his hand. I took it in my own.

"Your time is not now." He whispered, "you still have a great destiny ahead of you." James glanced next to him and I felt tears stream down my face as I gazed upon my mother.

"My beautiful daughter." Lily whispered, embracing me. Every inch of my body filled with warmth. "You've made us both so proud of you. This isn't the end of your story. Go, be great. We'll see you again sometime."

I shot out of the water onto the shoreline. The first years stared at me with shock as I shivered despite the warmth I felt from the spiritual hug.

"Oh my god. Oh my god." Harry rushed up to me, worry clear on his face. "Are you okay, Jami?" He breathed, looking me up and down.

"I'm fine." I said, shocking even myself. It was true. I didn't feel any of the water dripping off me as if Lily had covered me with a water-repellent charm. "I'm fine."

Malfoy pushed past the watching students. "Don't do that again, Potter." He scolded before pulling me into an hug much to everyone's shock. "I nearly lost you."

"Jami-" Hagrid was there. "Are you okay? You scared us quite a bit--stayin' down there fer that long."

"How long?" I asked.

"Thirty minutes." Harry whispered. "We nearly missed the start of the feast. The other first years went ahead."

Indeed, it was only ten other students with us, three of them being Ron and Hermione and Malfoy. Another girl who I didn't know walked up to me and stared at me in the eyes.

"Jami Potter, I'm Irma Abbott. Did you...by chance see anything down there?" She asked.

"No." I lied. Her eyes narrowed and she opened her mouth to say something else.

"We have ter get ter the Great Hall." Hagrid said. "Quickly."