Remembrall

"Give it here," Harry called, "or I'll knock you off that broom!" "Oh, yeah?" said Malfoy, trying to sneer, but looking worried.

"Both of you--please." I called, shivering slightly in the air.

Harry knew, somehow, what to do. He leaned forward and grasped the broom tightly in both hands, and it shot toward Malfay like a javelin. Malfoy only just got out of the way in time; Harry made a sharp about-face and held the broom steady. A few people below were clapping. I gasped quietly, just only slightly worried for his safety.

Malfoy glanced over at me before looking back at Harry who just had to taunt him just now: "No Crabbe and Goyle up here to save your neck, Malfoy." He called. "Catch it if you can, then!" He shouted and he threw the glass ball high into the air and streaked back toward the ground.

  I saw, as though in slow motion, the ball rise up in the air and then start to fall. I leaned forward and pointed my broom handle down -- next second he was gathering speed in a steep dive, racing the ball -- wind whistled in my ears, mingled with the screams of people watching -- I stretched out my hand -- a foot from the ground I caught it, just in time to pull my broom straight, and I toppled gently onto the grass with the Remembrall clutched safely in my fist. I saw above me Harry looking astonished, as if I'd never do something like that before in my life.

"JAMES POTTER!" I spun around and saw Professor McGonagall, her eyes were wide and her glasses flashed furiously. "Never -- in all my time at Hogwarts -- how dare you -- might have broken your neck --"

"It wasn't her fault, Professor --"

"Be quiet, Miss Patil

"But Malfoy --"

"That's enough, Mr. Nott. Potter, follow me, now."

I glanced around, and tossed the glass ball to Hermione. "Give that to Neville." She nodded, carefully cradling it in her hands as if it would burn her at any moment.

  I caught sight of Crabbe, and Goyle's triumphant faces as I left, walking numbly in Professor McGonagall's wake as she strode toward the castle. I was going to be expelled, I just knew it. I wanted to say something to defend myself, but there seemed to be something wrong with my voice. Professor McGonagall was sweeping along without even looking at me; I had to jog to keep up. Now I'd done it. I hadn't even lasted two weeks. I'd be packing my bags in ten minutes. What would the Dursleys say when I turned up on the doorstep and Harry didn't?

  Up the front steps, up the marble staircase inside, and still Professor McGonagall didn't say a word to me. She wrenched open doors and marched along corridors with me trotting miserably behind her. Maybe she was taking me to Dumbledore. I thought of Hagrid, expelled but allowed to stay on as gamekeeper. Perhaps I could be Hagrid's assistant. My stomach twisted as I imagined it, watching Ron and the others becoming wizards, while I stumped around the grounds carrying Hagrid's bag.

Professor McGonagall stopped outside a classroom. She opened the door and poked her head inside.

"Excuse me, Professor Flitwick, could I borrow Wood for a moment?"