Chapter 23: Let's talk, shall we?

Alice

About a week after our trip to the waterfall, Elijah and I are in the living room, drinking coffee while I'm listening to the generic jingle of a company hotline.

I've been trying to get a hold of the company that sponsored my blog when I was still in Harrison's firm, since I'm trying to set myself up for freelance photography and started a new blog just a few days ago. I know it's highly unlikely that they will take me up on my offer, but I can only try, right?

Truth is, I'm sick of working in companies led by powerful, sexist, white men. I want to be my own woman, want to do the work I want to do.

"Hi, Miss Epione, thanks for waiting!" The high-pitched voice at the other end sends me out of my thoughts. "I spoke to my boss, and he said he's not declining your offer, but he would like to meet you in person to talk things over. Would that be alright with you?"

I know it's a redundant question, I just have to be alright with it.

"Okay, uh... Your offices are in New York, right?" I ask, earning myself a glance from Elijah who has been reading his book until spoke up just now.

"Yes. We will take care of the accommodation and travel costs, of course. We just need you to be here on Wednesday."

"Wednesday?" I now meet Elijah's gaze, knowing it's therapy day for him and since we have our first session together with Dr. Gray today, I don't know if he wants me to be there next week as well...

"Yes, Wednesday. Does that not work for you?" The woman at the other end of the line already sounds annoyed, but I honestly don't mind it that much, knowing that my hesitation is justified.

"Not really, to be honest... Would it be okay if we met on Thursday?"

She sighs dramatically, the sound of her fingers running over the keyboard echoing through the line until she finally says, "Okay, Thursday, two P.M.. I'll send you all the details via email. Have a great day, Miss Epione."

Before I can even respond to that, the line goes dead and leaves me speechless for just a second as I'm trying to register what exactly just happened here.

"So... Thursday? New York?" Elijah asks, placing his book on the table as he gets up from the armchair to join me on the couch.

"Yeah, they uh... They apparently want to conduct a personal interview with me."

He nods his head, taking his hand in mine when he says, "Okay, that's good... I uh... I can come with you if you want?"

The sincerity in his eyes, in his entire demeanour, somehow takes me aback, and I can't help but just look at him, thinking about his unexpected offer.

But then he suddenly speaks up again, the insecurity rolling off of him in waves when he says, "Or not, if that's too much for you. I mean, we don't have to be toge..." I don't even let him finish, there's something about his demeanor that makes me want to jump him. And so I do just that, straddling his lap and pushing him back on the couch while my lips chase his own.

He immediately responds, one hand squeezing my butt while the other finds a grip in my hair. Our tongues dance while he angles me the way he wants me, the control he exhibits sending multiple shivers down my spine while I grind on him, the growing bulge in his jeans making me all sorts of mad.

A moan escapes my lips when his hands move beneath my shirt, the feeling of his fingers on my bare skin making me feel dizzy and breathless in a matter of seconds. The anticipation and heat between us is killing me, and the excitement in his jeans doesn't really help matters either, the need to feel more, to feel all of him, suddenly overwhelming me.