Chapter two

Alec and Clary had reached the Fairchild's apartment with Simon joining them at the old shortcut Clary and Simon used to use back in middle school. The three of them walked into the apartment after Simon had forced open the bolted door, which Alec found a little weird, him being mundane and all. They all noticed that it had been burnt to crisp. The walls blacken by fire climbing up them.

"Clary, who torched your loft?" Simon questioned, surprised not seeing Clary's eyes starting to water. Alec however was scanning the room, the whispers, voices in his head once again. But they were calming somehow, seeming to pull him towards the burnt wall's. Alec placed his pale skinned hand on it and his eyes glowed silver, as he took a sharp inward breath being pulled into a vision of Clary's mother using a rune to set the place a light when she touched the bedpost in the room. As the vision ended, Alec's eyes returned to their normal hazel and he jerked his hand away from the wall. Clary and Simon didn't even notice Alec not really paying attention to him.

"There's nothing left of me here." Clary muttered holding a picture of some sort. Simon placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"Your mother was trying to erase any trace that you existed. So that you couldn't be tracked." Alec continued to look around the apartment before turning to Clary. "She was protecting you."

"Let's see how well that worked."

"You're alive aren't you?" Clary stayed silent as Simon moved around the apartment. Then stopping and shifting his feet on the wooden floorboards under them. Alec looked at him confused at what he was doing.

"These floorboards... They sound different. Can't you hear it? There's something under here." Simon kneed down to the floor and pulled away one of the wooden planks. "Another score for Brooklyn."

"Hey, out of the way." Alec pushed Simon away from the now hole in the floor and reached down to see if there was anything there. "There's something down here." He mutters as he pulls out a small wooden box with the metal letters of JC on it. "Is this the box you remember?" He questioned handing it to Clary who began to trace the metal work on the box.

"Yeah. She used to wait till she thought I was asleep and then take it out."

"Well let's open it." Simon said, little too eagerly for Alec's liking. Clary opened the lid of the box to see a lock of blonde hair and a bunch of things you would have for a newborn child. Alec was confused to say the least when he started to hear the sound of a baby crying, but was pulled out of the sound by something shattering outside.

"There's someone here. Get what you need. Do not move until I get back. We've been here too long." Alec moves past Simon and Clary, using the fire escape on the side of the apartment building to reach the ground. He unglamoured his bow and quiver he had strapped onto his back encase he needed to defend himself Clary and Simon.

Alec notched an arrow into his bow focusing on whatever target might come into his line of sight. He heard some type of animal growling in the bushing. He fires the arrow and misses, seeing a black furred wolf running out from them. Suddenly the wolf stopped and turned to look at Alec as the shadowhunter ready another arrow. But the wolf didn't attack him, it didn't do anything, it just stood in the middle of the path and looked Alec dead in the eye. Alec found this a little odd, but despite his mind screaming and shouting at him to stay alert for anything that could happen, he slowly lowered his bow and arrow and stood up straight as the wolf tilted it's head, still looking at Alec who felt oddly calm in the situation.

Cautiously he walked closer to the wolf who didn't move a single muscle as Alec got closer and kneel down so was at eye level with the wolf who's eyes glowed green and Alec felt a power rush to his head, looking over at his reflection in the metal head of his arrow, seeing his eyes were glowing a bright silver. He silently gasped in surprise looking back at the wolf, who's head turned sharply to the road. Alec was Clary and Simon being pushed into an unmarked car, the wolf whimpered in fear.