Confrontation

I got up from the chair I was sitting in and looked up at the now black sky and the bright stars that shined down from it. I looked over at the two once again and slowly started walking to them.

"What could go wrong?..... a lot, actually."

Katrina saw me and whispered into Sam's ear, causing him to look in my direction and once he saw me walking toward them he froze and his whole body tensed up. It looked like he had said "shit" under his breath as no make sure I didn't hear it. Katrina did though and swatted his leg and glared at him, it almost made me laugh.

I stood at the side of the fire, staring at their uneasy faces. They sat across from me, making sure to not touch each other in my presence.

"Hey, Y/N..." Katrina forced the words out of her mouth and they faded away as she reached the end of my name. "Hi Katrina" my voice cracked saying her name, giving it a painful tone. Her face turned gloomy and she stayed quiet as I addressed Sam. I looked in his direction and gave him a simple "Sam" and giving him a quick nod, he did the same with my name. "I'm glad your back, everyone missed you." He said with a hard tone to it. "I'm sure 'everyone' were" I put "everyone" in finger quotations and a sarcastic tone. His face twitched and showed a little sadness at my words. "How have the two of you been in the past two months?" I asked as I sat down on the bench next to them, but still keeping my distance. Sam shifted in his seat and answered quiet and plainly, "good." Katrina replied the same, but she asked how I was going. I thought about what to say. Two things came to mind, "you know, just getting over my boyfriend kissing my best friend after saying that he doesn't love her." or "I've been great, was finally able to visit my parents."

"You know, just getting over my boyfriend kissing my best friend after saying that he doesn't love her."

I went with the second one.

Katrina's head dropped down quickly and Sam stared blankly at me. The silence that settled over us was painful. Sam sat there staring at me, his eyes searched my face. After a few moments of painful silence Sam spoke up, "Y/N, I get you are angry, but stop making this such a big deal. I knew you for around two weeks, and those two weeks we dated. I enjoyed my time with you, and I'm sorry for lying to you but we didn't know each other well enough for you to have to go to your home town for a month. It was unnecessary..."

I stared at him blankly, unsure of what I wanted to say next. I couldn't think of the words. I stood from were I was sitting and walked off, and into the house.

"I know your in love with her... you don't need to hide it." Katrina said, Sam looked over to her and bit his bottom lip. "What do you mean?" He said with a shaky tone. "Don't do that. You know exactly what I'm talking about. You are in love with Y/N." Katrina's eyes turned glassy and her hands shook a little as she held one hand over the other trying to mask the shaking in her fingers.

"That's not true Kat. I love you." He reached for Katrina's hand, but she pulled it away as he placed his hand over the back of her hand. "You may love me... but you are not in love with me. And that makes all the difference in the world to me. I don't want somebody who doesn't love me like I love them." Katrina rose from her seat and began to walk away. She was stopped as Sam grabbed her hand and spun her around. She took her hand back from his and shifted in place as she waited for what Sam had to say. He stared at her with confusion in his eyes. She sighed and looked around. "I love you too. Get your girl Sam. I'll be cheering for you on the sidelines." She gave him a sad smile and walked into the house.

I was sitting in my car when I saw Katrina walk out of the house and look over at my car. She saw me and gave me a sad smile and walked to her car. As she pulled out of the driveway and drove down the road, Sam came out of the door. He wasn't even focused on Katrina's car, he looked at the different cars parked in the driveway till his eyes landed on my (your car). He showed a small smile and ran over to me. He opened the passenger-side-door and got in, slamming the door behind him. I opened my mouth to protest, but he held my face in his hands and leaned in. His lips pressing to mine.

The was a longing feeling inside me that wanted to stay here with Sam, our lips together and his hands at my jaw. But, I told myself it was wrong. He hurt me. He was in love with Katrina. It was wrong.

I pulled my face from his hands. I looked at him angry, and my eyes turned glassy. "What are you doing!?" The anger I was feeling coated my words and he seems brought back by it. I sighed, and rolled my eyes. I turned my head from him and looked out of the windshield. I shook my head and sucked on my teeth. "I'm in love with you..." he said as he stared at me, as I stared back through the corner of my eye. "ha!" An angry laugh left my lips. "Wish you would have figured that out before you went and kissed Katrina."

He feel silent and a tear fell down my cheek. Luckily it was on my left cheek, so Sam couldn't see it, as that side was faced away from him.

"get out." I said in a shaky voice.

"Y/N please... let me explain" he pleaded and his voice cracked when he said "please." That sent me over the edge, the tears that had pooled at my eyelid rolled down my cheeks and a muffled sob left my lips. Sam wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close to his chest. I struggled in his arms, wanting to get away. After a moment of my struggles, my energy faded and I sat still. More sadness fell over me as I enjoyed the feeling of being in his arms, because I knew it was unrealistic. I slowly brought my arms up and wrapped them around his back and cried into his shirt.

He sat there and ran his fingers through my hair. He listened to my sobs and felt as my tears soaked his shirt. He knew it was all his fault, for kissing Kat back, for not trying to talk to me and explain, and letting me leave for a month. If he had just pushed Kat away the two of them would not be here, here with him holding her as she broke down about something he did. It wouldn't be happening.