Chapter 3

The next day, Pony was hyped up for his track meet in Georgia. Darry, as usual, is in overprotective parent mode, checking and double-checking to make sure Pony packed enough underwear, toothpaste, and sunscreen for the trip.

"Darry, it's not that long. I'll be fine, I promise, " Pony tried to assure him, but once again Darry went over the checklist, just to make sure. And Pony was forced to endure it all.

"I love you, Pony," Soda told him the next morning, early the next morning as he got onto the ugly school bus. Soda was sad, but excited to hear about his little brother's big race once he returned. And proud. He was very proud too.

"I'm proud of you, Pone. Just do your best. I love you," was all Darry said to his youngest brother, seeming genuinely less like the parent he was forced to play and more like a proud older brother. He didn't seem as worried as he had been, he looked less stressed. And Pony would always remember that look on his brother's face as he got into the bus.

End flashback

"I don't know, Darry. Maybe that jail..." He trails off, not truly knowing the answer and feeling too tired to try and answer. Darry notices this, pushing the sweaty hair off of his brother's clammy forehead.

"Probably got a cold from that Chinese kid. Go back to sleep, little buddy," Darry tells him.

Pony didn't need to be told twice, he just dragged himself into his room and passed out on his bed in seconds.

X

"How is he, Darry?" Soda asks, walking through the door and kicking of his shoes, followed by Steve who slams the door.

"Don't slam the door!" Darry lectures. "And he's still pretty warm." He wasn't going to sugar coat it to his teenage brother.

"If he gets any hotter we're gonna have to take him to the doctor."