Chapter 5

"Pony, the doctor said that you've been sick for at least a week. When did you start feelin' sick? You can't get this sick this fast" Darry grills. Ponyboy's been up and coherent for about an hour, and Darry decided that it was time to talk to Ponyboy about what the doctor told him the other day.

Darry sighs. "You need to start tellin' us when you feel sick, kiddo."

Flashback:

"Hey, Pony," Jerry, one of Pony's track friends grinned. They were messing around, practicing for the meets the next day, when Pony felt a sharp pain in his chest. He stopped, putting his hands on his knees and wheezing.

"You okay?" Jerry asked, patting on Ponyboy's back lightly. Ponyboy really liked Jerry, he wasn't the sharpest but he was a strong runner and a real good buddy to have. He had light blond hair, dark blue eyes and a small build, but he was taller than Pony.

"Yeah. This stupid cold, man. It sure is kickin' my butt," Ponyboy covered up, brushing off Jerry's concerns. Then, though, he didn't know it wasn't just a bad cold. But he wasn't going to let anyone worry, he was okay, or so he thought.

End Flashback

Time skip

"Sh'da? Why am I in m'bed?" Not that Ponyboy's not happy that he's not in a hospital, he just doesn't know why.

"You were out of it, kid when we took you home. Doc said you was just tired from the pnemonia, but then your fever spiked once we got home. We almost had to take you back to the hospital." He pauses, and then. "Listen, Pony, the doc said you can't smoke no more. Hey, don't give me that look, it's like, chronic pnemonia or somethin' like that he called it. Your gonna be on pills for a while, no foolin' 'round, 'kay?

"M'Kay Soda." Something in his look makes Pony stop. "Soda? What else did he say? Soda!" Ponyboy is wide awake now, yet so tired.

"He said no more sports, kiddo."

Pony almost fell asleep. "Mm... Is track a sport?"

Soda gives him a strange look. "Yeah, Pony it is."