What with the Newspaper?

[Posted on May 13, 2020]

It's the second Saturday of May and 39th day since my mother became weird, in a good way.

"'Nak, kain na tayo!" My mother shouted downstairs. Her voice was full of joy and excitement.

"Sige, 'Ma!" I responded, trying to pay back her joy.

My mother became weird for the past days. She became happy all the time. She started to cook my favorite food, tell me stories, and even play with me. She told me she wanted to make me feel I was her life. That she's very afraid to lose me.

All because of what happened before she became like that. We had an argument. That's all I could remember. What happened that night was as clear as a flood. It was all uncertain. I was actually trying myself to remember that scenario, however my mind wouldn't let me to.

But, I felt delighted. This was the first time seeing my mom being like that so I was very happy. The joy inside me was burning. Felt like I was in my utopia. Everything between me and my mom was blissful. Everything was smiling, as if they were feeling my emotions. I could even see the television, radio, and the utensils smiling. Our happiness was like a drug that kept us alive.Running because of excitement, I went to our dining area to eat our dinner. My favorite Tinola was served on table. My mother was already there, waiting for me while reading a newspaper. Her face had a glimpse of pain. I wondered, curious of why was her face like that.

"'Ma, anong meron?" I asked, still perplexed.

Shocked, she immediately hid the newspaper. She was unaware that I was already there.

"H-ha? Wala. Kain na tayo." Her smile was fake, I knew it.

I did not bother myself asking for it might ruin the good atmosphere between us. We started to eat. And again, I felt contented. I could say, this was my definition of satisfaction.

After eating, we both went to my bedroom. She wanted to sleep with me this night.

"'Nak, matulog na tayo."

Parehas kaming nakahiga sa aking kama. Kinekwentuhan ako ng aking ina habang ako'y yakap-yakap n'ya. She told me what I really was for her. That she loved me even if we were not together. Nakakalungkot ngunit alam kong masaya ako na naging ganoon s'ya. Mahal na mahal ko ang aking ina. I would always love her even if the sun dies.

The night was cool and dark, opposing my mom's feelings that were mixing inside her.

The night passed so fast. The next day, my mom was in bliss. Ngayong araw ang pinakamasayang araw na magkasama kami. Tinuruan nya akong magluto at mag-bake habang tinuruan ko naman s'yang maglaro ng online games.

"Asin 'yan!"

I was about to put this white powder which I thought sugar when my mom warned me.

"Ha?" I wondered.

"Asin 'yan at hindi asukal haha." My mom laughed so hard. I could even see tears on her eyes.

I started to became so emotional. My heart began pounding. Tears were forming on my eyes. I badly wanted to see this kind of scenario with my mother and now, it's happening. I knew these tears were not because we were in pain but because we were in an incomparable scenery. This kind of scenario would always be in my heart.

"Oh? Bakit ka umiiyak?" My mom wondered.

"Sus, umiiyak ka rin naman eh!" Sumbat ko rin.

We both laughed on our own puns. We teased each other in gladness.