Let's Make a Time Machine

[Posted on July 7, 2020]

"What?! You know I cannot live any longer!" with tears flowing on my cheeks, I shouted at my boyfriend on the other line. My heart wanted to be free inside me because of furiousness. "I'm gonna die days from now and yet you're still working on that impossible thing instead of having a quality time being with me!"

My boyfriend didn't reply.

"Now, what?!" My mouth didn't cease to scream because of the enormous anger that was building up inside my chest.

He first sighed and said, "B-Babe, please." His voice was faint but it didn't calm my furious mind. "This is very important." He pleased.

I faked a laugh in disbelief. "Eh, ako? Hindi mahalaga? Babe, hindi na ako magtatagal sa mundong ito tapos ayan pa rin ang aatupagin mo?!" My voice was shaking as my heart shattered.

"It's not th-that t I don't love you. It's just that we are still scientists—"

"And we are still a couple! If you'll not come here then I guess we should end our relationship." My chest was pounding hard as my anger still built up.

I immediately ended the phone call for me having these bewildered emotions. Sobbing, I wiped my tears on my cheeks.

My phone beeped that made my eyes gazed at it. I turned it on and saw a message from my boyfriend. However, still having anger with him, I did not open it.

My heart started to calm down together with my whole system though I still couldn't help but to cry. I stared at the white ceiling of my room and thought of what happened few months ago.

It was a broad day when I tried my boyfriend's invention that would make me turn young again; and vice versa. It was an age-shifting machine that would make a person turn by any age they want and was operated by my boyfriend. We already tried it to a monkey and it turned out well. 

However, when I tried it, it didn't go well which turned me into an old lady. And it was not only that, my whole body changed in different ways. My face looked like an old lady but there were parts of my body that were normal. My left arm and leg were thin but the right parts were fat. We didn't know what to do so we kept it a secret. Only three of us knew about this: my boyfriend, me, and an assistant to my boyfriend. The unknown sickness had always made me ill. The aftermath of that was pain and I knew to myself that I was not gonna live long. They also had to put me some apparatus to make me put in ease.

But the thing was, my boyfriend was still working on that stupid thing instead of having time with me which made me feel unimportant.

Few minutes had passed when the door opened. I was hoping that it was my boyfriend but it turned out to be my boyfriend's assistant. He was panting when he entered the room. I could see that he was bathing with sweats.

He gazed at me with pain on his eyes. He swallowed as he wiped sweats on his neck and face. 

"Your partner wanted you to read the message he sent to you."

Out of confusion, I picked my phone and turned it on, opened the message app and read his chat.

My heart started to bewilder as I read it. However, instead of anger and furiousness, it made my system melt because of his sweet and hot message.

It said, "Babe let me finish this time machine. This is my fault and I want to travel back on time when you were still normal. I will stop the stupidity we did few months ago. Alam kong walang gamot sa karamdaman mo ngayon kaya gusto kong bumalik sa dati para maging normal ka ulit nang sa ganon ay magkakasama tayo nang mas matagal."

Tears started to form on my eyes for me not having a knowledge why he badly wanted to make such thing. I was smiling as I hugged my phone. I read the message once again to feel his love. After that, I dialed his phone number to call him but he was not answering it. I tried to call him multiple times when I noticed his assistant crying.

I swallowed and asked, "W-Why?"

He gazed at me full of pain which made myself uncomfortable. "D-Diba pupuntahan ka nya ngayon?"

I nodded.

"He was on his way here nang mapasama sya sa isang engkwentro."

He stopped and continued, "And he was shot in the head."

As I felt my body shutting down, my emotions drastically went down.