Amnesia

[Posted on June 16, 2020]

"Do you believe that amnesia changes a person?" my bestfriend asked and sat beside me, putting his phone into his pocket.

"No." I replied.

"Why?"

I heaved a sigh before answering his question, "Because in the first place, if you show your true colors to yourself and to the people, you will be the same even if your memory fades away."

He chuckled, "You mean, if you are childish before you got an amnesia, you will certainly be the same after having one? Because the only thing that fades is the memory and not the emotions..." he paused, "... and feelings?"

I looked at him full of confusion. "Y-Yes." I was hesitant to answer but why? I didn't know.

He then smiled and stood. He got something in the other pocket and said, "Open this letter when I get away." Smiling, he handed me the letter.

Chuckling, I replied, "What? Are you gonna say that you have an amnesia? You know I'm not fan of cliché stories like that. Haha." I faked a laugh as I rolled my eyes.

However, he didn't bother to speak instead he just walked until he vanished in my sight.

"What-- is this?" I laughed, full of sarcasm.

As I open the folded letter, a picture was there. It was an image of him with me. However, my heart started to pound hard when I realized I didn't know when it was taken.

My system didn't cease to bewilder so I immediately read the letter. My breathing was uncontrolled due to the emotions the letter was giving me. My eyes became watery as I read the letter word per word. Every word was giving me uncomfortable mixed emotions. Every letter was hitting me hard. It was written by me with bliss, love, and care. However, as I read it, it gave me unknown feelings of sadness and guilt.

I was wiping my tears when I received a text from my bestfriend, "You said feelings will never be changed even if the memory fades. You didn't love me, did you?"