"I Love You"

[Posted June 18, 2020]

"I love you." you said, blushing.

We were five years old when you first said those words to me that made my heart melt, for the first time. 

-

"I love you." you said, handing me a letter.

We were ten years old when you started to treat me like your sister, which I thought was more. 

-

"I love you."

I smiled. We were fifteen years old but you still kept saying those words.

-

"I love you." Knowing the real meaning of it, you kept on saying those. And you never failed to do.

-

It was 18th of June in the year XX20 when we were in the same church. Everyone was dressed accordingly, happy that that was a wedding day.

My heart was beating fast, faster than ever. My emotions were mixed, knowing the fact the we were waiting for something like this would happen. I could even see you standing at the front, smiling and was blissful like there was no tomorrow.

The day was bright and calm, opposing the feelings that were mixing inside me.

Tears had started to form in my eyes after realizing everything. I took a handkerchief and wiped my eyes that were as red as rose. My makeup would be ruined.

"Why are you crying?" a man beside me spoke.

Still wiping my tears, I said, "I never thought that our future would be like this."

"Why?"

I first hesitated but I confessed anyways. "Since we were five, he used to say 'I love you' to me. And I thought..." I stopped.

"You thought what?"

I faked a laugh. "I thought it was something like that." The feeling was multiplied because of this man. He knew what I was feeling.

"You know, the word 'love ' is as wide as the universe. It has variations. Love is as broad as saying 'nice' and 'good'. It has a lot of meanings."

Your happiness was my everything. You never failed to make me special.

As I walked, my system was out of my control. It felt unusual and uncomfortable. "I love you." you said.

My tears and my heart were agreeing with just one emotion; the feeling of sadness.

I walked, but not towards you; but away from you.

What the man said was all true. Love is very broad. Love can be between family and children, a person and himself, a partner with another partner...

And the love you gave me was only as friends.

"I love you, too." the woman, dressed like an angel, replied to you. And I supposed, the love you were giving to her was like the love I was giving you... since we were five. The love between partners.