The Letter

[Posted on July 20, 2020]

"I am a mailman but I have never received a letter from someone." the man dressed in his usual attire announced as he sat on one of the seats.

The woman beside him replied, "Then wait for my letter after I leave." Her lips curved as her eyes looked in the blue and plain sky.

The breeze of wind was caressing their skin and the bright sunlight covered their area with the birds chirping. It was a good day, both of the two thought.

Their feelings for each other had built constantly because of the bond they had created every single day. They had memorized how each other smile, knowing such thing was also making them flatter. It was such a blessing to found a perfect partner, they said. They were dating, cuddling, and confessing each other's feelings and secrets.

They did a lot of things that couple do: kissing in the rain, cuddling in the dark, talking deeply to each other and more. However, they were not official—or in more common term, they did not have a label.

The woman then stood and bid her farewell for the man, with both of them smiling.

The man was so excited to receive the very first letter he will be having. Knowing that it will be from his beloved person, his heart didn't cease to beat fast everyday as he waited for the letter. 

The letter that he assumed as a confession of the woman's feeling towards the him.

A day had passed but not a single letter had came to his house.

A week after but still, no letter. That was the time that he continued his job as a mailman while still waiting for the letter his beloved person promised.

A month had passed, nothing came.

A year... a decade... a decade and a half of waiting but still, no letter.

The man was almost giving up but every time he thought of the woman, he never stopped. He just believed in her.

Until the day he was waiting had finally came.

The letter was being carried by the man who was crying. He opened it and read where it came from. And he was right, it was from the woman he talked to almost two decades ago.

His hands were shaking as he read the letter word per word. However, instead of happiness, he felt different. The feeling the letter was giving was totally opposite of what the man imagined. 

The words were like knives that never stopped stabbing the man's heart which was beating and pounding hard as if there was no tomorrow. His knees were trembling as tears and sweats fell.

The letter the woman gave to the man who waited for it was not a love letter, instead, it was a suicide one.