Chapter 22

CHAPTER 22

Aleina's POV

“Jasmine…” 

Her name helplessly leaves my mouth in a whisper. I don’t bother checking her pulse. She was killed and there was no way of saving her. Deep scratches littered her entire body. She lay there motionless and still, not breathing. I kneel down beside her and look her over. My heart ached for her knowing I wasn’t there to protect her. All she wanted was another chance to grow in this pack. I scan her wounds and realize the terrible tragedy as my eyes reached her stomach. The baby. 

“Doctor please come quickly! I need to know if this baby can be saved!” I yell out in desperation. 

The doctor comes running over as soon as he finishes up sewing Chambers’ son’s neck wound up. He looks down at Jasmine’s lifeless body and immediately shakes his head.

“If there was a way to save that baby you know I would. But the baby was not even fully formed yet. The baby will pass along with his mother.” 

“His…?” A young man’s voice cried out a few feet away. I turn and look over and see Neil standing there with a look of pure defeat. He falls to his knees and cries out, screaming No, in-between his sobs. I look up and see one of the guards standing next to him. I know he only let Neil out to see his mate. I lowered my head and allowed Neil to grieve. Even though he stepped out against me, he did not deserve this. Jasmine didn’t deserve this. I looked down at Jasmines belly, small, almost undetectable movement was showing through her belly. The doctors eyes widened.

“Get everything you can from my office. The baby is still alive. We will try our best to save him.” The doctor explained as he looked at me and nodded. 

My heart began to race as I remembered that my mate was supposed to be in labor at any moment. I looked over at Dominic in sheer panic.

“Go, I will handle this.” Dominic said as he nodded in respect.

I didn’t waste a single second and darted out towards my mate. My nose hit the ground as I tried to follow their scent to find them. I know I told them to get to the doctors but I needed to remember exactly how to get there. 

As soon as I picked up their scent I darted into the woods straight for my mothers coven. I try linking with my mate but all I get is sheer pain rippling through my back. I can only feel her but cannot hear her. She must be in labor, or worse. With the amount of pain she was in I was hoping it was just labor pains and not an attack. I begin to panic, not being able to get in touch with anyone. The swift movements of my legs quicken my stride as I run as fast as I ever have. 

When I reach a few yards away, a terrible stench filled my nostrils and I immediately halt, nearly throwing up. I pinch my nose and try to keep running towards my mothers coven. I look around, slowing my pace as I see bodies covering nearly every foot of the ground. Some even dangling from the broken branches in trees. There was an excessive amount of blood shed there and I couldn’t figure out who did this. I didn’t have time to stop and look at all of the bodies to identify who they were. Something ruthless did this. Something with an immense amount of power. But as far as I knew, there wasn’t even anyone around that could match my power. 

Sophia's POV