Chapter 39: Talking To The Moon

Twilight walked around the cutie map, dusting off its edges and enveloped in her own thoughts. She'd let Spike go to bed early, and was finishing up cleaning the map room on her own, giving herself busywork as her mind ran rampant.

What had she done wrong? What could she have done differently? Was this truly the end? Would it have been better had this never happened at all?

It was hard to say, because it HAD happened, and now, there was no going back. She, along with the rest of her friends, would now have to cope with the memory and the disappointment. She couldn't help but feel responsible for that.

"Twilight?"

Her thoughts were broken up by Fluttershy's soft-spoken voice. She and Rainbow Dash had come into the map room to see her. She shook her head a bit in surprise.

"Rainbow Dash? Fluttershy? What are you two doing here so late?" She asked them.

"Um, well..." Fluttershy tried to start, but she trailed off. Rainbow Dash spoke up.

"It's been awhile since we last saw Alex and Evan on Earth, and we know we can't go back, but...we were wondering if there was a way to use the map just so we can check in on then, see them one more time." Rainbow Dash explained.

"I see... Well, I'm not sure, but Star Swirl did something like that recently. Perhaps there's a way I can adjust it." Twilight said hopefully.

"Oh, thank you, Twilight." Fluttershy thanked her.

It took some thinking and some ingenuity, but Twilight did manage to figure out how to repurpose the map to create an image of others, and then, with some proper aim, she was able to pull up where Evan was and what he was doing...

Evan was quietly listening to his music and doing the family dishes. He rubbed the face of the plate in a circular motion with his soapy sponge, quietly absorbing himself in the music and tones of Owl City.

"Hey, Evan, honey." His mother came, tapping him on the arm. He glanced over, and removed an earbud.

"Yeah, Mom?"

"You still look upset since that girl left, uh, Fluttershy?"

"Yeah. Uh... You know, I've just been thinkin' about her, wondering how she's doing." He admitted.

"You never said what happened that you two had to go your separate ways, hun. What happened there?" His mother asked curiously.

"She just went home, basically. Their friends came to get them, and they just can't make the trip back, so that had to be it." Evan said with a melancholy shrug.

"Ah, that's a shame. But you know, soon enough another girl will come along and make you happy. Just take some time to focus on yourself for now." She advised, patting his shoulder and giving him a quick hug.

"Thanks, Mom..." Evan said, accepting her hug and letting her go. "I was already happy though." He muttered with a sigh.

Fluttershy sobbed a bit as she wiped away her tears. Twilight and Rainbow Dash glanced at her empathetically.

"Do you wanna move on to, Alex, Rainbow Dash?" Twilight asked. She took a breath and nodded.

"Yeah..." She answered. Twilight nodded, changing the map to Alex.

"It's been awhile since we've seen you on the night shift here, Alex. How've you been?" His coworker, Kathy, asked as they and another man, Leonardo, walked with him to his car.

"Oh, you know, I'm okay. I, uh, just had a rough breakup." Alex admitted.

"Ah man, that's rough. How are you holding up?" Leonardo asked sympathetically. Alex just shrugged a bit.

"I'm alright." Alex answered simply, which hit Rainbow Dash like an arrow.

"Are you sure?" Kathy asked.

"Mhmm," He nodded. "Thanks for asking." He said as he reached his car.

"No problem. Get home safe." Kathy said.

"Thanks. Take care, you two." He waved them off, and got in his car as they went back into the hospital.

Alex sat in the driver's seat of his car, sitting back with a sigh. He watched his coworkers leave, and waited until they were back inside to turn on the battery of his car, plugging in his phone into the car speakers, and beginning to play a song.

With a sigh, he began to sing along quietly:

"I know you're somewhere out there, somewhere far away. I want you back... I want you back... My neighbors think I'm crazy, but they don't understand you're all I had... You're all I had...

"At night when the stars light up my room, I sit by myself... Talking to the mo-oo-oon. Tryna get to you-ooh-ooh. In hopes you're on the other side talking to me too. Oh, am I fool who sits alone talking to the moon?

"I'm feeling like I'm famous, the talk of the town. They say I've gone mad, yeah, I've gone mad. But they don't know what I know, 'cause when the sun goes down someone's talking back, yeah, they're talking back, oh.

"At night when the stars light up my room, I sit by myself... Talking to the mo-oo-oon. Tryna get to you-ooh-ooh. In hopes you're on the other side talking to me too. Oh, am I fool who sits alone talking to the moon?

"Oh oh, oh oh, oh oh, do you ever hear me calling? Oh oh, oh oh, oh oh...

"'Cause every night, I'm talking to the moo-oo-oon. Still tryna get to you-ooh-ooh. In hopes you're on the other side talking to me too. Oh, am I fool, who sits alone talking to the moon? Oh oh oh...

"I know you're somewhere out there, somewhere far away..."

The End

(Follow for Book 2)