Chapter 9

Sunpaw was crouched down, creeping silently through the forest. He was waiting for just the right moment...

And, pounce!

He caught the mouse between his paws, and nipped it hard. It went limp. That should be enough for the elders, he thought. He carried his catch over to the small mound of dirt where he had buried his fresh-kill. Timbertree came out of the ferns, eyes shining at Sunpaw's catches.

"Great assessment!" praised Timbertree, purring. "Wow, I think the elders will be happy. There might even be some left over!" Sunpaw beamed at is praise, then his face fell into a sad expression. He sighed heavily.

"I wonder when Moonpaw will be able to hunt with me again," Sunpaw meowed, glancing into the trees. His sister had been cooped up in the medicine den for what seemed like seasons. Sunpaw had found it hard to get used to the emptiness of the apprentice's den without her.

"It shouldn't be too long; she's been cooped up in that den for almost a moon!" encouraged Timbertree. His mentor flicked his tail at the apprentice. "Let's head back to camp. Then you can see how your sister is getting on."

Sunpaw nodded. He and Timbertree worked together to haul the fresh-kill back to camp. When he got there, there was a pleasant surprise waiting for him.

"Sunpaw!" yowled a familiar voice.

"Moonpaw!" called Sunpaw. He dropped his prey and bounded over to his sistee.

Moonpaw's eyes shone.

"Wow, you caught all that?! It's obvious I haven't been training in a while," Moonpaw meowed sadly.

"I know," replied the golden tom, "but you're a great hunter, too! You'll catch up in no time. It's no fun training without you," added Sunpaw, hoping to make his silver sister feel better.

"I guess," said Moonpaw. "I need to work harder than before to learn all what you have! Oh," said Moonpaw, seeming to remember something. "I need to talk to you, alone."

"Sure! Want to go to the forest?" suggested Sunpaw. Moonpaw seemed to be very serious about this.

"Okay, le-" she was interrupted by a tom's deep voice.

Silversprout had approached them. "Moonpaw isn't ready to do anything extreme yet. Why don't you two stay in the camp

Moonpaw, for some reason, looked terrified, so Sunpaw answered for her.

"She's been so cooped up lately, so she really wants to go out into the forest again," Sunpaw said. At least that part was true.

Silversprout looked like he was about to argue, but Riverwhisper came up to them first.

"Why not, Silversprout? Moonpaw needs to get out sometime, and sooner is better than later," Riverwhisper reasoned.

Silversprout drew himself up, but then spun around and stalked towards his den.

"Sorry about that," Riverwhisper apologized to them as the the silver tom got out of earshot. "Silversprout seems to be in one of his moods again. I'll handle it," he said winking at the apprentices. "Now go! Have some fun!"

. . . .

Moonpaw and Sunpaw walked side by side, heading toward the river.

"So, what was it you wanted to talk to me so badly about?" asked Sunpaw.

Moonpaw sat down, glanced around, and began to speak.

"Last night, in the medicine den, Silversprout told Riverwhisper something very odd," she began, "something very odd that might have to do with us."

"What was it?" Sunpaw asked impatiently.

"I don't think they knew I was even awake. Silversprout said, 'A strange she-cat came to me a while ago. She said, "'A bird is threatening the forest. When day and night come together, the future will be clear.'"

"And what does that mean?" asked Sunpaw, puzzled.

"They walked into the forest to talk about the meaning, and I didn't want to risk following them," she said gesturing to her paw. "But do you want to know what else they said?" asked Moonpaw.

"Of course," said Sunpaw, leaning in.

"Silversprout told Riverwhisper to take especially good care of me. I mean, above the other cats."

"Isn't that against the warrior code?" Sunpaw gasped.

"It might be against the medicine-cat code," replied Moonpaw.

Sunpaw calmed himself down. "Don't tell any other cats about this. We should figure this out on our own."

"And don't tell the medicine cats, either," Moonpaw pleaded.

"Don't worry, I won't," reassured Sunpaw. "If you need anything else, you can always talk to me."

"Thanks," Moonpaw said, relieved, and she walked off. "Hunting," she called over her shoulder. "See you!"

Sunpaw shook his head, full of questions, shock, and confusion. How would they save the Clans? They were just ordinary apprentices. No powers, no incredible senses. Just plain, ordinary cats, trying to survive.

What will happen to us now? Sunpaw asked himself, slipping back into the charred camp.

Silversprout met him as he walked back into camp.

"So, how was your talk?" asked Silversprout suspiciously.

"Oh, Moonpaw just wanted to take out her boredom on me," Sunpaw lied quickly.

"Well, just make sure she doesn't overdo anything," Silversprout said through narrowed eyes. "And I would prefer a warrior go with her outside of camp."

Riverwhisper walked over. "Silversprout, are you still bothering the poor apprentices? Leave them be; they don't want a medicine cat questioning them at every turn."

"Alright, Riverwhisper, I'm coming." He flashed a glance at Sunpaw. "Remember what I said!"

As the two medicine cats walked away, Sunpaw felt a prickle along his spine. Did Silversprout know what their talk was about? If so, what would he do about it?