Chapter 13

Moonpaw had never felt so happy in her life. Her heart felt light, her paws felt like they were hovering off of the ground, and she felt so carefree.

Is it so wrong, she asked herself, when it makes me so happy?

It's surely alright to. We're just apprentices. We are no harm.

But she couldn't ignore the feeling in the back of her mind. That little voice that told her it was a threat to the Clans. The voice that told her that it wouldn't stay secret forever.

What if Sunpaw found out? What would he do?

What about her parents? What would they say?

What about the prophecy? Or was this a part of the prophecy?

She shook her head. It didn't matter. She had her whole life to save the Clans.

And right now, she needed to feed her Clan.

She stared at the pigeon just a few tail-lengths away. It was a pigeon, and a big one. It would feed quite a few cats. She wiggled her haunches, and pounced at just the right moment. The pigeon didn't have time to squawk. Moonpaw snatched up her prey and carried it over to the tree she had buried the rest of her prey. She had been hunting since dawn, and now it was past sunhigh.

Her belly growled.

For a moment she was tempted to take a bite of the mouse she had caught earlier, but quickly decided against it. It would just prove her actions did have an effect on her loyalty.

Moonpaw picked up her mice, pigeon, and her vole. Like gathering moss, she thought. I hope I don't have to do that anytime soon.

As Moonpaw walked back to camp, her father bounded up to her.

"Hello, Moonpaw! Fine day for hunting, isn't it?" Cloudchaser asked.

Moonpaw nodded mutely, her mouth full of prey. Cloudchaser flicked his tail affectionately against his daughter's shoulder before bounding away deeper into the forest, vanishing in the undergrowth.

Moonpaw sighed. The lightness she had felt a little while ago had vanished, replaced by worry.

"Nice haul!" called her mentor, Featherear. Moonpaw barely heard her. She twitched her ear absentmindedly, still heading for the fresh-kill pile. Featherear caught up to her with her long legs, and matched the smaller cat's stride.

"You should be ready to be made a warrior in less than two moons," Featherear purred. "I'm so proud of you."

Moonpaw dropped her prey on the fresh-kill pile. She was mildly surprised at the thought of becoming a warrior.

"Thanks. It means a lot to me," responded Moonpaw, trying to force happiness into her voice. Featherear didn't seem to notice the insincerity of it and nodded at her, walking over to the camp exit.

Moonpaw turned around, heading for her den, when Sunpaw walked up to her.

"Uh, hey, Moonpaw," said her brother. He looked awkward. "So, where have you been?"

"Hunting," replied Moonpaw, suddenly suspicious. What did he know.

Sunpaw seemed to think for a minute. Then he grunted, and pushing past her, headed for the fresh-kill pile.

Moonpaw huffed in annoyance. What did it matter to him? It's not like he would be the one getting in trouble. She turned around in her nest a few times before laying down. She closed her eyes, welcoming the calming blackness that overtook her.

. . . . .

"Moonpaw," a voice rich as honey purred in her ear.

Moonpaw purred. She knew it was a dream, but she was enjoying every minute of it.

"Moonpaw." The rich voice changed into a sharper, higher-pitched hiss.

"Moonpaw!"

"Wha- huh?" Moonpaw opened her eyes. Her brother was staring down at her, a guarded look in his eyes.

"You were purring in your sleep," Sunpaw growled. He narrowed his eyes, looking suspicious. "Should I start calling you Moonypaw?"

Moonpaw sat up, stung by her brother's words. A feeling of dread began to creep up her spine.

"So, who is it?" demanded Sunpaw. Her normally mild-mannered brother looked as angry as ever.

"What do you mean?" stammered Moonpaw. She took a deep breath and stared him straight in the eyes.

"What I mean is that I've noticed you being kind of, well, moony," he said. "You think toms don't notice?"

Moonpaw's gaze hardened. "What does it matter to you? Maybe you should get your own life and stop interfering with mine."

Sunpaw looked taken aback at his sister's sudden change of attitude. He closed his eyes for a minute, and Moonpaw knew she had gone to far.

"I don't mean to be rude; I'm your brother, and you should feel like you can tell me these things." Sunpaw's voice was gentler now.

"I can't tell you! You'd never understand!" cried Moonpaw. Sunpaw reeled back. She fled from the den, and without realizing it, headed towards the TwilightClan border.

She stopped, her chest heaving for air. When she had gotten her breath back, she lifted her nose and sniffed. No, he hadn't been here in a while. Maybe next Gathering.

She turned around, deciding to hunt for a while. She had caught a two mice when her mother ran up to her.

"Moonpaw! There you are! Where have you been? We've searched the entire camp for you!" Stormheart meowed.

"Sorry," Moonpaw mumbled. "I was just hunting."

"Come on back to camp with me. Sunpaw was frantic. He didn't know where you had disappeared to."

Stormheart and Moonpaw feel into step beside each other.

"You know, Moonpaw, every time someone upsets you, you can't just go running off. Come to me, or your father. Just because you're almost a warrior, it doesn't mean your parents won't be here for you."

Moonpaw sighed heavily, and rested her head into her mother's chest, accidently bonking her in the chin.

Her mother yelped. "Moonpaw!"

Moonpaw instantly felt horrible before her mother started laughing.

"Well, you certainly have gotten taller. By the time you stop growing, you'll be taller than me!" Moonpaw purred, trying to push away unhappy thoughts.

She decided not to worry. Even if someone did find out, she didn't care. All that mattered was that she was happy. Nothing else.

 Or was she making the biggest mistake of her life...

...

I bet you will never guess what Moonpaw's secret is. But do you know who?

Mwahahahahaha.

And guess what? You won't find out for a while!

Until next time, my minions!

What? I didn't say anything.

Ciao!

-Russet

ANNOUNCEMENT: The names for Moonpaw and Sunpaw are in! Their warrior names will be...

MOONSONG AND SUNSHADOW!