• 8 •

~ Often the world is smaller figuratively, lives tied, closer than conceived imaginatively ~
_____

“Your house is crazy.” Nessa told Kadron when they got into his car.

A two storey huge rectangular house with a flat roof. Some trees were planted near the walls leaving only the front bare; others peeked from one side of the rooftop while the other an awning that provided shade to the rooftop deck.

Painted a subtle white, it gave a fine finish combined with the glass railing on the balcony on its side.

The upper floor appeared longer at the front and left side making it seem to balance on the ground floor.

Definitely one of those modern architectural buildings that featured in magazines.

However, the house retained a simplicity to it despite its extremity, effortlessly beguiling, like the owner.

The road snaked through a carpet of light green grass with short trees planted strategically. After the short stretch to the swing gate Nessa barely paid attention dreading the whole thing as Kadron opened the gate remotely.

She glimpsed at him and wished she could sink into the damn leather or teleport from the car.

How did people do it?

Nessa understood hurling better than sharing feelings and that was no exaggeration.

Earlier on she'd tried to live a normal life for a year, Renee did say to live. If you could call staring at a computer all day and partying hard nights on weekends living.

Alcohol did a great job inducing her best fantasies so she escaped reality for hours on end. With the right amount of liquor in her system Nessa could see Renee and dance in the club with her.

For two nights every week she could pretend her sister still existed and numb her pain for a while. Unhealthy as it might have been Nessa kept it up for a year. All week she thought of nothing but the drunk influenced last days of the week when she could be with her sibling.

Emotionally, the whole experience was a train-wreck. She passed out smiling but woke up crying feeling the loss each time. In a way the escape doubled as punishment she practically lost her mind. 

At times she questioned her sanity but figured crazy people didn't therefore she couldn't be. Nessa learned a few things about people and herself over that period. She knew how far she could push her body and mind.

“Talking isn’t my greatest suit Kadron.” She mentioned as the car surged forward picking up speed.

They left the compound behind driving through a treeline that edged as far as the eye could see. Kadron lived in the middle of nowhere. Surrounded by trees, thicket and barren patches of overgrown grass.

“This is how you start practicing.’ He answered looking ahead pulling her from a reverie as a squirrel darted across the road.

Way to encourage a girl. She preferred to count the trees out her window numerous as they were.

"Someone's averse to neighbors." She tried to change the topic.

"I can't deny that, I like my privacy and the environment here. Some developers tried to get me to sell but I'd rather not. They were not happy."

"Wait how much of this land do you own?"

"All the way to the main road."

Nessa gaped at him realizing how loaded the man beside her truly was.