• 10 •

~ My my, oh my ~
_____

A shrill noise roused Nessa from a deep sleep startling her momentarily unsure where she lay. It became a habit waking up in strange places it would seem.

The vibration against the wooden coffee table annoyed her so much she gave up the effort to keep on sleeping.

She winced as the pounding in her head increased once her eyes fully opened the soft light hitting her retinas.

Damn the headache, she sat up on the velvet couch she'd been sleeping on.

Before her an empty wine bottle lay on its side beside a half full glass. She flopped onto the floor coming into contact with another bottle that bruised her stomach.

Ow, how much did we drink? She pushed the bottle away.

Too lazy to rise to her feet she crawled on the floor to the other side of the table to get to her phone. The fluffy carpet brushed her exposed midriff for she wore a boobtop and tiny pair of cotton shorts.

She struggled to move forward like a slow lizard the short distance seeming miles away her stomach dreading each movement. Getting to her phone she reached up and felt around the approximated area finally grasping the cell. After a quick check of the caller ID she answered it.

"Daniel, how are you doing this morning?" She lay back hand rubbing her temple and closed her eyes.

"Morning? Boss it's 12:30." He informed her from the other end.

"What? Really? Had a long night." Eyes open from his declaration she examined the underside of the table.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, how is everything?" He must have a reason for calling so early in the morn... Right afternoon.

"It's all going well. I need you to come in though." She heard the tapping of a keyboard as he multitasked.

"I hope there is no problem." She couldn't afford unexpected hurdles.

"No, I just need you to go over the information I acquired on the startup we were thinking of investing in and the other company."

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that. When?" It had slipped her mind.

"As soon as possible, before the month is over actually. I would send them but I know how you feel about that." He referred to emails and texts.

"I prefer not to leave a digital footprint unless absolutely necessary." She explained for the hundredth time.

"I still think that's abit paranoid." He laughed lightly.

"I know, but my paranoia will save us one day mark my words. Also there is a lot you don't know." She put in leaving much unexplained.

"No objections here boss, I do what you tell me." His affirmation pleased her, she liked that he listened.

She gave him free reign but he always sort her approval. It ensured everything ran smoothly.

"I'll come in soon. If I don't by the end of the week please remind me."

"I will, have a good afternoon." He said in finality.

"You too."

She dropped the phone beside her and turned on her side ready to resume her sleep.

"Mira?" She called her face in the rug muffling her voice.

After some silence she lifted her head to find a hand waving from behind the couch she'd vacated indicating her presence.