• Reincarnation Chapter 3 •

~ A want, a need ~
_____

The narrow path glistened still wet from the rain that fell in the late of the night. A light shower that left the path moist and the horse splattered through it at a slow run. Judging from the cloudless sky, by midday the ground would dry and be as if water didn't pour from above. An effect caused by the sun.

It was early in the morning and Tarlia headed to the palace ready to begin her day. She passed some early risers on the street before veering to the loneliest pathway.

Three routes led to the royal home, a wide road mainly used by carriages, another that passed through the middle of the busy ton and the other that Tarlia chose, which crossed through a field of wheat.

On arrival the gate drew open allowing her entry, the guards then closed it. Tarlia hopped off her horse after reaching the barracks handing him over to the care of the stable boy.

She marched silently to her room— careful not to awaken her sleeping companions— and slipped inside quickly because the door squeaked. She untied the heavy cloak at her neck it's warmth retained in her body. She draped it on the bed and performed a few dips, and lunges to stretch her taut muscles.

As Tarlia stood infront of her wall of weapons eyeing the pike, a knock sounded on the door beside hers. She laughed quietly at Cero's sleepy grunt. His door opened then a conversation she didn't hear ensued. Afterwards the door banged shut.

Who's daft enough to interrupt Cero's sleep? She thought, even I know not to come between the man and a bed.

She nudged the pike from the wall and dropped it startled by the same hard knock on her door. Picking the light weapon Tarlia put it back in its place, walked the few steps to the door and pulled it open.

"Lady Tarlia." The Katharl's fist rested on his chest in greeting.

"Katharl." She responded unsure of his name, she'd seen him around but didn't know him.

His hand lowered, "your presence has been requested at the palace in five minutes." He informed her.

"I'll be in attendance." She ascertained and with a stiff nod he left.

The palace? She wondered what prompted the order so early in the morning. Is the king. . . No Tarlia Emerik, no. She chastised herself.

After having a thorough conversation with herself the day before, she endeavored to keep her head free of all thoughts of his royal highness. Utterly occupying her every thought, she kept looking for him during the times spent in the barracks. As if he'd casually stroll out for an Armand to catch a glimpse of him. If only.

She left her room and draped her cloak over her shoulders. Tarlia took the few steps to the next entryway. She paused and banged on Cero's door.

"Aye Cero, ye don't want to be late for the address. The guard said five minutes." She heard his bed creak as he stood.

"I'm right behind you." He responded sounding more awake and she moved on.

As Tarlia trudged through the grass headed to the palace, she thought about the party the king asked her to attend.

His exact words, I want you to come.

She went alright.

Tarlia had been correct, the guests clambered over each other trying to get a word in with the king. She stood on the sidelines watching the spectacle unfold, mystified by the effect their ruler had on his people.