• 12 •

~ Exciting is the run, enticing are the hurdles ~
_____

Nessa cussed at the young driver who cut her off but felt bad immediately. You are such a softie sometimes, she switched the lane.

She felt on edge and unsettled, had been from the time she woke up. Being around six thirty in the morning, the temptation to stay in bed all day called but she got past it around eight thirty rising to start her day. 

A nagging feeling spread inside her webbing its way through her blood vessels like an infection. She could neither explain nor ignore it, slowly slipping into a dark zone, with barely any control over the matter.

Depression crept into her mind like a thief in the night come to snatch her peace.

A most valuable thing to me at the moment thank you very much, she banged her hand on the steering wheel dreading the hole she gradually slipped into.

Nessa had been doing well, mentally, until a few days ago which turned into a slippery slope she slid down to the present day.

Weeks earlier preoccupied at Kadron’s, Nessa hadn’t remembered that tomorrow she lost her sister all over again, metaphorically speaking.

It was the date Renny died.

She wondered if her sister would be proud of whom she had become but curbed that unwelcome thought. Nessa wasn’t even proud of herself so she couldn’t look to others for it, especially the dead. 

Damn, she checked her rear view mirror before overtaking the pick-up truck infront of her. Definitively one of those days, sad days that felt like crap but she had to get some things done.

Only too happy to be heading back from her last errand, she decided to pass by Dante’s and grab a bottle maybe more, of wine and some chocolate.

Prepared for the next hours to suck she sort to get drunk and evade the morose feelings. Nessa didn’t even want to think about the fact that she hadn’t heard from Kade in a couple of days, more than a week to be precise.

Yes Nessa counted the days, each harder than the one before.

Aargh get it together he's just a guy, she rubbed her chest above her heart because it hurt.

She got so insecure sometimes, enough to call him… twice. Both calls rang for what seemed like hours yet he didn't answer or text, anything at all. It was probably nothing but a girl could over-think, really stretch the bounds of her imagination beyond existing limits. 

She missed him so much, and had a problem with it.

The last time she saw him he took her horse back riding.

Another surprising date.

Seriously can he read my mind? She knew not but still.

Nessa begun to cancel out a mental list of things she'd longed to experience but never got around to doing after their second date. Sitting on the powerful mare had been frightening at first but after her lesson she eased into it.

Within hours she rode the horse easily as if she had been doing it all her life. The ranch owner classified her as a natural making her beam with pride.

Nessa sighed and took a right turn then parked on the side of the road knowing her business wouldn't take long. She grabbed the wallet from her bag and as she got out of the car her phone rang.

She didn’t recognize the number.

She slid back into the car, closed the door and cautiously received the call.