No, Don't Change The Subject

Bad's house smelled like a bakery. It was a mixed aroma of baked bread and melted chocolate. House plants hung from the ceiling and their long vines flowed from the pots. It was almost like a tropical forest. Walking through his house was like walking through every pleasant cottage experience possible. It was a far more put together and clean version of Dream's house. The walls of the living room were actually painted. It was beige, but at least it was decorated with abstract paintings.

He had a soft couch where his dog slept. She actually slept in the same corner of the couch as Patches did. The kitchen had more hanging plants and an actual table to sit at. It was all so clean as if it was all left untouched.

"George can get the guest room," Bad said.

"What? But I want the bed," Sapnap pouted.

"You guys can just share the bed. Or he could sleep with me. Either way is fine."

I stared blankly at the two of them.

"I also have a cot in my closet that George can sleep on," He later added a few seconds later. "How does that sound?"

"Fine," I shrugged.

Bad smiled, "Great! Sapnap, take him to the room and I'll grab the cot."

The three of us went up the stairs. I lagged behind as I had to carry my luggage all the way up. The hallway was the plainest part of his house. All it was, was an alley of just a beige wall.

The guest room was still well decorated for a mainly vacant room. There was a plant hanging by the window and nice paintings of dogs across the walls. My stuffed Panda sat in the corner of the room. Somebody had put a sweater on him. My first assumption was Bad, but it honestly could have been either of them.

Sapnap closed the door behind me. "Alright, George. You've been quiet the entire ride home. What happened and why are you sleeping with us now?" He walked past me and sat down on the bed.

I shrugged. "The wedding's off. Dream doesn't want to get married anymore."

"George, he was looking forward to the wedding way more than you were, I can guarantee it."

"Hey, he's the one who refused to sign the license, not me. I'm not at fault this time." I shook my head. "It's fine, really. He gave me money to buy a ticket back home."

"Are you sure you want to go back? Once you leave, you can't come back."

I nodded despite everything in my body trying to tell me not to. "What's the point in fighting anymore? He literally kicked me out of his house. He offered to buy my plane ticket. It's over."

I got back up and grabbed my luggage. If there was anything I wanted to do, it was get out of my uncomfortable suit. It was tainted now. Every second in it was absolutely suffocating.

"I honestly didn't think he'd go this far," Sapnap pressed on.

"Neither did I, but he's just full of surprises, isn't he?"

He smiled softly. There was nothing worse than being in the pit of your own misery, and your own best friend smiles at you. "Yeah, but he's so fucking in love with you, man. I thought he'd be the one to fight for this relationship."

"You don't need to remind me, Sapnap. I know."

"Has he ever told you?"

"He didn't have to."

I rummaged through my luggage, hoping that he'd just drop the conversation. I couldn't even remember a day where I wasn't bombarded with teasing remarks about me and Dream. Or dirty jokes despite the fact that nothing further ever happened. And now all anybody ever talked about was the marriage. I did not want to marry for love, but everybody thought I did.