Chapter Nine

"Hello, is this Mr. King?"

"This is he. How can I help you?" 

I wasn't expecting this call. The number didn't look familiar either. 

"Who is it?"

"Its Dr. Gordon, from a few weeks ago. I have more information on Zina's medical history. According to what found from her old doctor, Zina Mae Coleman was born on February 4, 2003, which makes her 17. I also found her birth certificates. Do you need access to this information Mr. King" 

"Yes. What do I need to do? Sign a release form."

"Not exactly. Since you're not legally Zina's guardian there are two ways, get legal guardianship, to grant you rights or her biological parent has to relinquish their parental rights to you in court." 

"Thank you for reaching out Dr. Gordon. Have a good night." 

"Good night. Mr. King." 

So if I want to get her records I'll need to get lawyers involved. That means digging up things from Zina's past. She may be re-traumatized.  At least now I know Zina turned 17 two months ago. She's so young. I can't believe I thought she's 19. It's because she's so mature.

I need to tell her how old she is.

I'd been working in my home office when Dr. Gordon called. I finished up and shut down the computer. Zina is probably in her room reading. She's been obsessed with The Fault in Our Stars. I can't wait to show her the movie. 

I go to Zina's room. Knocking her door. 

"Come in."

It still blows my mind she's speaking again. She doesn't say a lot of words but still. I think a speech pathologist would help with speeding up her recovery. 

Zina was in fact reading. The puts down the book. Her hazel eyes are warm and alive with something I can't decipher. She looks beautiful, with her locs still down from when I pull them out earlier. 

"I have some good news. Dr. Gordon called and told me she found your medical history. Guess how old she said you are?"

"18" Zina guessed. 

"Close but actually you're 17. Your birthday was months ago on February 4th. You were born in 2003." 

I expected Zina to be happy but she doesn't appear happy at all. Instead, she looks angry. 

"I thought you'd be happy." 

"I want to be 18." 

I hear, her voice sounding near to tears. Zina sounds so angry. Why? It's not that big of a difference. In a year she'll turn 18. I go over to her taking her hand.

"You will be, in a year. It's not that long." 

Zina refuses to hear me out. Shaking her head from side to side. Like what I'm saying isn't the point. I'm surprised by her reaction. Zina gets her phone and writes something. I wait to read whatever she has to say. 

When she turns her phone around I understood what she meant. I don't want to be 17, because it means I'm still considered a minor. I have to wait an entire year to be seen as an adult. Its too far away. 

"I know little one but it's not that bad. It's okay." 

Zina kept getting more annoying at me. I pat her head and get up to leave. 

"Wait."

She spoke again. If someone were to ask me to describe the sound of Zina's voice. I'd say it's low with a slight raspy undertone since she hasn't used it in a long time. I'm sure over time the tone will continue to evolve. 

"Sorry for getting mad. Good night."

"Good night little one." 

When I go back to my room I sit in bed thinking about Zina. I don't think what she said is the only reason she wants to be 18. I can't put my finger on it but I think it's deeper than that. I know she won't tell me if I ask. I should get Seline to ask her.

I haven't heard from Nick. I wonder what he's up to these days. Probably off making trouble somewhere. There is still so much I have to do when it comes to Zina. I need to schedule her eye test, find a speech doctor, contact my lawyer about guardianship. The list goes on.

I'll have to start tackling it another day. It's stressful being responsible for another human being. 
....

"Good morning Seline. I need you to do me a favor."

"Mawnin Mathias. Sure."

I lean in whispering.

"I found out Zina is 17. When I told her she got upset. Do you think you can find out why she wants to be 18 so badly? Don't make it seem like I told you to ask her though." 

"Sure. Mi ago chat wid her lata." 

I can't help but feel appreciative of Seline. Especially in moments like these. I kissed her cheek and finish the cup of coffee. I place the cup in the sink and head out the door early to work. Today is Friday so I figured why not start early so I can get an early weekend.

I'm hoping to take Zina to do fun stuff this weekend. I need to also get her in school. I wonder if she'll be into going in person or prefer online school. There is so much to consider and take care of. I'll have to remember to talk with her about it tonight. 

Fingers cross Seline will get me some answers. Maybe it's something I can help with once I know the reason. Richard pulls off as soon as I get in the backseat. 
....

"Zina It's 12 pm."

Seline wakes me coming into my room. I literally roll over grabbing the blanket to shield my face from the sun pouring through the window. Why does everyone like waking me? 

"Yuh nuh wah start di day."

"I want to sleep, another hour or two. Please." 

She shuffles away from my bed. Hopefully, she's leaving so I can get back to Zz's. It's not a crime to love sleep, is it? 

"Okay. Mi ago downstairs if yuh need mi. Mi ago prepare lunch an prep dinna."

With that, she leaves me alone. Thank god. I need to put up a do not disturb sign on my door. I doubt it would keep Mathias out. Not that I want him out.
....

When I wake up it's two in the evening. My body feels well-rested. I stretch my arms yawning in delight. I go to my bathroom to pee, wash, my hands, face, and brush my teeth. In that same order. Mathias is most likely gone for the day. I go back to last night's scuffle.

I'm happy to know my age, but it doesn't matter much because I'm still a minor. He doesn't know I want to be 18 so legally I'll have a chance. Not that it changes anything. I see the way he views me. I'm like the child he never had. There is a one in a trillion chance he'll change is perspective and see me as a woman, not a child he found. 

I want Mathias to want me liks a woman. I want him to look at me and think of me as someone he desires. Even though he's 18 years older than me I can't help it, I want him to really see me. I can't help when he kisses my forehead it's my lips I imagine he's kissing instead. I can't help when he touches my locs it's my body I want him to caress instead. 

If only there was some way to seduce him. What is the age of consent anyway in Chicago? I should really research that. Maybe I'll ask Seline. I hope she doesn't question why I'm want to know.

I complete my business in the bathroom. Instead of changing out my sleep clothes, I keep them on. Mathias isn't home. As soon as I exit my room my nose awakens from the delicious smells raising from the kitchen. Seline can cook. I go to the kitchen ready to taste what she's preparing.

"Good afternoon." 

It's getting easier for me to speak. But I still don't say a whole lot. Just enough.

"Afternoon Zina. Yuh ready fi lunch?" 

"Yes please."

Seline prepares my plate. She made beef tacos with some sort of homemade sauce. The tacos have lettuce, cheese, avocados, and the sauce over the meat. Seline knows I hate tomatoes so she doesn't put any on.

"Thank you. Smells good."

I sit at the island. Taking a big bite into the taco. Some of the fillings fall out. It tastes delicious as always. The beef is nicely seasoned. I chew and wash it down with the glass of lemonade Seline left while I ate. 

She smiles at me and continues making more. Seline is brown skin with a natural tan, curly brown natural hair, and dark brown eyes. She looks to be in her early 50's. I take another bite finishing the first taco. The sauce brings it up another notch. Its a little spicy. 

"Seline where are you from?" 

Seline gazes up surprise I asked her a question. She doesn't seem to mind as she answers.

"Mi from Jamaica. Mi live deh fi years before moving here in mi twenties, with mi two dawta."

She has children. I'm sure they're nice just like her. 

"How old are they?" 

"Mi oldest Vanessa is 33, and mi youngest Christine is 28." 

Wow, they're grown. I guess that makes sense. She's probably 52 or 53. Seline is probably a grandmother already too. I need to ask her about the age of consent.

"Can I ask something?" 

"Of course," Seline says. 

At the same time puts two more tacos on my plate then makes herself some to eat. I take my time building courage to ask. Here goes nothing 

"What is the age of consent here?" 

Seline jumped a little as she recognized what I was asking. She continues walking around the island to sit beside me. I look over to her waiting for her knowledge. She swallows before saying.

'"If mi rememba correctly the age of consent in Illinois is 17. Wah mek yuh ask?" 

Wait. It's 17? This better be true. How do I answer her? 

"Uh, you sure?" 

Seline doesn't say anything. She wipes her hands and reaches into the pocket of her apron for something. I realize it's her phone when she starts typing. I peer over trying to see what she's doing. After a few seconds, she looks up and turns the screen so I can read what it says. Seline Googled the age of consent for Illinois. Further below the search box, confirms its 17. 

Knowing this is true I receive the biggest shot of relief. My face for the first time in years actually smiles. Not a part, not a slight turn of my lip either but a real genuine smile. I can only describe this moment as pure euphoria. I've never been so thrilled over something ever. Not even my mother's gifts gave me this much emotion.

I can't believe I panicked for no reason. All this time it was 17 and I didn't know it. Isn't that crazy? I have a tiny chance now. The one in a trillion just rose higher. But there are still other things to consider. That's for another time. I'm not going to be negative for once in my life.

"Zina weh yuh go? Mi ah call yuh name fi 2 minutes now." 

"Sorry. I'm happy." 

"Why yuh so happy. Mi wah know wah make yuh eyes bright fah di first time since mi know yuh." 

"Because maybe there's hope for me. I like someone. There is hope, I'm 17." 

I grin wider as I explain to Seline. She stared at me as if a deeper question was answered. She stares off into space thinking hard about something. I'm sure it's nothing for me to worry about. Why worry when maybe now I can be with Mathias. I don't think she'll figure out who I like. I didn't actually say who it is. 

After our talk, Seline and I go back to our lunch. Continuing to eat in silence. I finish the last two tacos stuff and literally ready to go take a nap. But I won't because I slept enough already, plus I want to read the last chapter of The Fault in Our Stars. I was reading it diligently last night but I couldn't stay awake to read the last chapter before I fell asleep. 

"Thank you for lunch. Going to read." 

Seline nods. I whisk away up to my room where I left the book on my side table. I make sure to sit up so my stomach can properly digest while I read. 

Meanwhile, 10 minutes later Mathias sat at his desk. His personal phone began ringing. Mathias saw the caller is none other than Seline. Mathias answers.

"Hello, Seline." 

"Mathias mi have some ting fi tell yuh." 

I wonder if it's about the favor I requested this morning. I lean back in my seat preparing myself for what Seline will reveal. 

"Go on I'm listening." 

"Mi know why Zina mad bout being 17. She ask mi bout di age of consent fi Illinois. Mi tell her its 17 an she actually smile fi first time." 

"Really. You saw Zina smile. I can't believe I missed that. What else happened? Why is she upset?" 

"Mi didn't ask but mi ask why di age of consent being 17 mek her happy an guess wah she seh." 

"What?" 

"Zina seh be cause she like some body an now there is hope be cause she's 17." 

Zina likes someone. Who? Selina interrupts my thoughts before I can continue.

"Mathias ah just speculation, but mi think Zina like yuh. Yah di she a refer bout." 

"What? That's nonsense, Seline. I'm sure you're mistaken. I'm her guardian. Why would she like her parental figure?" 

"Well who else is she round old enough to fit the age, that she happy the age fi consent is 17. Mi sure a yuh. Anyhow mi ha fi gwan. Mi oh start prep fah dinna." 

"Okay, I'll see you when I get home." 

"Lata Mathias." 

I hang up contemplating the point Seline made about there isn't anyone else who fits the bill. My brain firing as I remember the night I told Zina she's 17. Her getting upset saying she's a minor, will only be considered an adult in a year. 

I slowly retract back to the day she asked how old I am. The look on her face when I said I'm 35. Zina was upset, started crying. She never told me why she was crying. Every time I asked she ignored the question. Does she really like me? Seline's words flicker in my head again "Well who else is she round old enough to fit the age, that she happy the age fi consent is 17."

When it finally dawns, it's me; my heart feels like it would stop. Zina likes me not as a parent parental figure but as a man. How could I miss the signs? They were staring me dead in the face all along. 

Zina sees me as a man! 

Please don't forget to vote and comment!!!