61

' Mma!'

Niki screamed, startling her.

' Why are you so loud?'

' I've been trying to get your attention since I walked through that door. What are you thinking about so deeply?'

She did not reply and once again her mind drifted off to the frightening encounter she had with Andre and once again Niki was left trying to gain her attention.

' Is everything okay, you seem really distracted today.'

' Yeah. Sorry babe just have a headache. What brings you by?'

'  I came to check on you and talk to you about something. I need your advice but I maybe came at the wrong time?'

Adrian's threat came to mind just as she was about to dismiss her and changed her tone.

' No babe, I can spare you a few minutes. What's troubling you. I hope everything between you and Adrian is okay?'

She furrowed her eyebrows at that question. It was unusual about her to say such or even ask about Adrian. They only asked if she mentioned him and just to be polite.

' I know that he is basically the only person you have an issue with these days.'

She lied and was right, Adrian was part of her stress since he decided to stepup.

' He asked me to or rather us to move to his hometown with him. You know his business this side is done and I'm conflicted.'

' Why conflicted?'

'  My life is here, everything and everyone I know is here. I had my own plans before he came here and I also have Syd.'

' I hear you and don't take this the wrong way but this is about Bisa. She needs both her parents in her life, especially now that she's spent so much time bonding with him. Anyone with eyes and a heart can see the love those two share and the love he has for you. Do this for Bisa, you don't want her to resent you tomorrow because you made a selfish decision.'

This was the last thing she expected from her mother and though it had her thinking, it did not make her want to move away but did he really love her?. Was what her mother saw right or was she just being an old romantic.

' Where have you two been?'

She asked when two hours later, Adrian walked in with their daughter asleep in his arms and an envelope under his armpit. She had decided  to cook to distress and was done cooking.  His food was in the microwave. Which she let him know of.

' We already had dinner with my lawyer.'

' Lawyer? Are you in trouble?'

' He brought me these, I want custody of Bisa.'

He blurted it out.

' What? You are suing me for custody?'

' I want custody of our daughter since you do not seem to care about her well-being.'

She stood dumbstruck. This was some kind of joke. This was the last thing she expected from him. Eas this because she did not want to move but she thought he understood. That night she never slept a wink, thinking about what she was going to do.