F O U R

Halcyon:
A period of time in the past that was idyllically peaceful and happy.
•─────✧─────•

Chapter 4: The Raven.

ONYX'S POV.

Ghost? I stare at the transparent lady in front of me, then I shift uncomfortably. Ghosts are spirits or souls of the dead. All horror I've watched says Ghosts can't be seen, Ghosts are vengeful spirits, Ghosts are always stained with blood and they are always hideous. But there's one who claims she's a ghost and I wouldn't believe her if she hadn't walked through a shelf.

She wiggles her fingers in front of me. "You can see me!" She jumps happily, I shift away from her in case she wants to possess me, "Don't worry, I wouldn't possess you. It's against Hades rules" she rolls her eyes at the last sentence.

"So your name is Casper?" I ask and she stares at me offended "No, I am not Casper, My name is Mara" She crosses her transparent arms. I could see the table behind her because of her transparent stomach.

She stares at the book I'm reading and stares at it longingly "You can read it" I thrust my hand forward "Oh no, no. Ghosts can't touch or feel anything with a life force instead we go through things unless they've been ghostified"

"That's not fair, how do you guys eat, or do anything?" She begins to float and I jump a little "we only touch things for ghosts, things that are also ghosts"

"I could read it to you" I suggest and her eyes lit up, "Really? You'd do that for a ghost that tried to scare you"

"You tried to scare me?" I cross my arms, "It's a tradition" I stare at her, "I scare every new maid" she says in a duh tone.

I wave the book while scolding her "That's not very nice" the book slips from me and hits her square in the chest "Ow" she rubs her chest and I stare at the book on the floor.

"I..I felt that" she mutters rubbing her chest "Is the book dead?" I ask her, "Books aren't capable of dying" she answers, I pick up the book. "How did you feel it? Why didn't it go through you?" I ask her, "Place the book on my hand" she opens her palm.

"What if it goes through you?" I ask worriedly, "I'll deal with the pain myself" I place the book on her hand and it doesn't go through her, instead she holds it in her grasps.

"I can feel it, I feel it's weight! Oh my Gosh! I can feel something, it doesn't go through me! You can see me! This the happiest day of my ghostly life!" She jumps holding the book, then she goes to the shelf to pick the book but her hand goes through the book.

She draws her hand back then tries to touch the book but her hands go through it. "W-why can't I hold it, I can't feel the other books they just feel like a breeze"  she questions me with sad eyes.

"Is this book magical?" She lifts Frankenstein that I had given her to touch "I don't know" I move to the shelf and I pull out the book she's been trying to touch 'To kill a mockingbird'

She lifts a finger to trace the cover of the book "I can feel it now--" she exclaims, she drops Frankenstein and holds 'To kill a mockingbird'

"But how is that possible? Hold on" she her goes through a lamp that she tried to touch "No you hold the lamp" she nudges her head towards the lamp, "Why?" I ask softly and she sighs "You ask a lot of questions Red"

"That's not my name" I answer,  "Just hold the lamp.... Please?" She bats her eyelashes, I hold the lamp and remove my hand, she holds the land and her hand doesn't go through it.

"It's you! Whatever you touch makes it touchable for me!" She jumps and accidentally drops the lamp which shatters on the floor with a loud sound. "Oops, I'm not used to it yet" she chuckles nervously.

With a roll my eyes I pick up a nearby broom and sweep the pieces. "So I can touch everything you touch" she sings happily yanking the broom from my grasps, "Maybe you should touch me" she suggests and I ignore her, placing the books back on their right shelves.

"Mmh?" She appears in front my me, still holding a broom "I have work to do Mara. I'm Hades' personal maid and so far I've done nothing since I woke up. I don't want him getting mad at me" I tell her and her face falls.

Sighing I lift up a finger and poke her shoulder, her eyes lit up with happiness "Your finger didn't go through me" she twirls me around with then stops abruptly making me fall "Sorry, I have to go. See ya" she blows a kiss and disappears.

I look at the roaster on the kitchen door and see I'm to sweep the third hall in the house. I pick up a wooden broom and a dustpan.

While sweep I hear a yell in a room and I move to the door ready to help out whoever is in there until I hear a voice "When was the last time you killed someone Hades?" The voice asks tiredly.

I should move from the door, but I can't, I feel like my feet are glued to the floor. "None of your business Zeus" I hear Hades voice, I tighten my hold on the broom.

"Just answer his question," a female says, "Yesterday and I killed maybe one or more" I could imagine him shrugging.

"And I'm guessing you want to know how?" There's silence before I hear a clap. "I saved a guy from an accident, he was so grateful I mean the look in his eyes almost made me feel guilty. Almost. Then I rub his back gently and advised him to steal a car and drive till he hits the big rock" he finishes with a chuckle.

"You're sick" the female's voice is laced with disgust. "Your opinions don't matter to me Hera" I hear a chair being dragged on the floor.

"Move out my way Hera" Hades warns. "I'm your older sister and I demand respect," Hera says with authority, there's a moment of silence before I hear a roar of laughter.

"Oh, now you want to act like an ideal sister?" He mocks "What changed? As long as I can remember you're either sailing ships or flying planes"

"Ha--" the door bursts open and I'm faced with an annoyed Hades. "Eavesdropping doesn't suit you love" he pats my head like I'm a doctor then leaves me standing there with an embarrassment blush.

After sweeping I begin to wash the plates, I soak the sponge with soap and water then pick up a greasy plate.

I accidentally drop a plate when I hear a gurgling croak, I look outside the window to see the orange sky is clear.

With a shrug, I continue washing, but the sound gets louder and creeper, I hurriedly wash the plate and leave for the room that was assigned to me.

After a shower which calmed my tensed muscles, I wear a blue cotton nightgown, turn to the small table where the switch to the light lays and turn off the light.

I instantly turn it on when I hear the same gurgling croak, then a tap on the big window in the room, I stare at the window to see a black bird, I squint my eyes, and stand up. The bird makes a sound and I jump a little.

I stare at the black bird with black eyes through the window trying to figure the species of bird. It tilts its head like it's also trying to figure me out.

I move closer and discover it's a Raven and I yank the purple curtains down in fright.