Chapter 1- Training and Assignment

"Welcome, trainees, to a very special day!" The instructor addressed the small group of students in front of him. "Today, young assassins,you get quite the reward. Due to your exemplary performance in... Well, in killing and not dying, you get to have the once-in-a-lifetime experience of meeting the one and only Johanna Runner!"

The instructor stepped to the side, while pulling open a door, and a tall, stark blonde girl stepped into the room, totally expressionless. She was dressed in a blue and black body suit adorned with specks of blood from her most recent mission, and she was armed. She had a quiver of throwing knifes on her hip, a dagger on her other hip, and a small assortment of non-lethal weaponry.

Seeing the fairly sparse arsenal, a girl in the group of about fifteen asked "Is that it? Do you not have any other weapons?" Johanna gave a short, cold laugh, and said "Do you really think I carry all of my weapons on me at once? And besides," Johanna flicked her wrist, and a crossbow bolt fired from a secret wrist-bow. It whizzed millimeters from the girl's ear, and stuck in the wall behind her. "Some of it is hidden."

"So," said the instructor, clapping once, "Here's what we're gonna do: you fifteen. Three groups of five. The groups fight Johanna in a row; after the first five are beaten the next five come in, and when they are all done the last five do. Fight until surrender or incapacitation. You will use practice weapons, no killing, and try not to break any bones. If anyone actually manages to incapacitate Johanna, they move up three spots in the ranking. So, group up, choose your weapons, and choose which group goes first."
"Aw, professor," protested Johanna. "Five of them against me? That's not fair... For them."

***

Johanna exited the fighting room, wiping blood off of herself. She was immediately confronted by the Associate Greater Magistrate, the fourth most power man in the government, and Johanna's adoptive father. I didn't know you were watching, thought Johanna. "Lav it Johanna, I thought the guy said no killing."
"Sorry, but it was only one student, and probably the worst fighter in the group; it's not like anyone's gonna be affected by it. We have loads of other assassins. Besides, it was semi-accidental."
"Semi-accidental?! You carking snapped his neck!"
"Look, dad, it's not like I can bring him back to life."
"Fine, whatever. Anyway, the Grand Magistrate said he wants to talk to you."
"Ohh, is it a new mission?"
"I don't know."
"I hope so. I haven't had one in a while. I'm itching to kill."
"You just did!"
"He didn't count."
Johanna's dad sighed.

***
"Hello, Johanna."
"Hello, Grand Magistrate, sir."
"We are about to send you on the most important assignment of your life."
"You say that every time."
"I mean it this time."
"You say that every time, too."
"Yes, but this time I'm serious. We found out where the leader of the largest resistance group is hiding out. We need a quick in-and-out mission, with a clean kill. Don't mess up."
"I won't."
"Good. You leave at two in the morning, so go get some rest."