20║First Threat

For what felt like the billionth time, Reine grunted in anger as she continuously threw her hands around. Swift words of fright and concern were spewed by her as she moved from one corner of the huge study to another, the oldest Rose-Velt siblings watching their mother with bored gazes. Qlaus palmed his face. He exhaled loudly and looked at his wife with droopy eyes.

"Reine," he called his wife, his voice bored and rumbly. Reine didn't answer him and he scoffed. He cleared his throat loudly. "Reine!"

"WHAT?!" Reine whirled around. She glowered deeply at him. "What?"

Qlaus raised a brow, his face showing genuine surprise as he leaned back in his seat and folded his arms. "Why are we—your family—here again? Because it seems like you just called us here to watch you—"

"It's about that Yumboe." She angrily bit her thumbnail. "She's a pest. Can you believe what she wants to do? Ask for the freedom of other Yumboes? That's madness!"

"Oookay. So the only reason you called your children and I here was so that you could just complain to us how you hate the fact that she wants to fight for the freedom of Yumboes."

Reine looked at the twins from the corner of her eyes. The boys were busy playing with their toys, paying zero attention to what she was saying. She looked back at Qlaus. "Hadn't you heard what she had said? She intends to kill us. Who does she think she wants to kill?"

"Aristocrats who abuse her kind," Qlaus stated monotonously.

"We are aristocrats," she said, pointing to herself, worry plastered all over her face. "I am an aristocrat. What if she manipulates the Yumboes under us? What if they kill me?"

Qlaus eyed his wife from head to toe and jerked an eyebrow up. "Just say the truth. You're just scared that she'll be successful in freeing the Yumboes and you wouldn't have them as servants anymore. You're just afraid that you'll have to start hiring servants who you will actually pay."

"YES! That's the most alarming reason why I don't want her to do such a thing. Imagine giving my money to those... to those..." Reine groaned and palmed her face. She began move about again, murmuring rapidly under her breath.

Qlaus sighed and shook his head before standing. "Well if that's the only reason why you called us here then the children and I can call it a day and leave." He pointed at the window that shielded them from the night. "It's getting late." He looked at each of his children. "Kids let's leave. Your mother needs some time to herself. Rex, Rey, come."

Rex and Rey hastily gathered their toys and hugged them to their chests. They shuffled out of their seats as Czarina and Vladimir stood. The four siblings were almost at the door when Reine hissed for them to wait. They looked at her.

"Before I forget, the four of you should prepare for tomorrow," she said as she waved a hand over her shoulder, her back to them. "We're going out tomorrow to get you guys new cloths."

"Really? What's the occasion?" Rex asked, happiness in his voice.

Reine peered over her shoulder and glared at him. "Don't ask such stupid questions. Just go to bed and try to at least wake up before eleven tomorrow morning."

Rex hummed sadly and Qlaus shook his head. They turned around and Qlaus held the door open for his children to walk out. On her way to her bedroom, Czarina caught a little bit of what the servants were whispering to themselves.

She gripped her arm. Maimouna has already started talking to them. She looked up and her brows knitted together. What if she does get to them? What if the aristocrats are against her? What will happen to my family?