21║First Silence

Czarina was sitting quietly in her silent room, with her head on top of her folded arms, when she heard a knock. "Come in." She didn't take her eyes away from the open window that was in front of her, listening as the door was pushed open and the person walked in. She didn't need to know that it was Lulana who had entered because she had called for her. "Take the letter and help me read it," she said in a gruff voice.

"Yes Miss," she heard Lulana say.

Czarina's head was still bent when she felt Lulana stand beside her so that she could pick up the letter. Unconsciously, her body shifted a little to the side when she felt Lulana's body heat. She held her breath, not letting go of it until she heard Lulana move away. Sweat had already piled on her forehead. She squeezed her eyes shut, exhaling slowly. The room remained silent as Lulana opened the file.

"There's a letter along with the clue," Lulana said.

Czarina hummed like it was nothing. "The clue?"

A few silent seconds passed before Lulana read out the clue. "The clue says, "Humpty Dumpty sat in a hall; Humpty Dumpty had a great ball. All the king's noblemen and all the queen's noblewomen were present.""

When Lulana read nothing more, she raised a brow. "That's it?"

"That's all I see."

Czarina heaved a sigh and raised her head. She held up her hand. "Let me see." Lulana gave her the card and she looked at it. Jumbled words stared back at her. She squinted, her eyebrows furrowing. Then she puffed air out of her mouth. "Well this is gold."

"Is there a problem Miss?"

"Nah. Nothing."

Silence followed before Lulana asked, "any idea what it means Miss?"

"Yes. It's just saying where the finish line will be situated at. The day of the race is the day that the aristocrats are going to throw a ball. They always throw a ball on the day of the third race and the venue of the ball is always the finishing point. Everything in this clue screams where we're likely to finish the race, the town's hall. But how are we supposed to use this to know what route to take." She turned the card around and found nothing. "Check if there's anything else written on the letter."

"Nothing. Just a letter congratulating you."

"Fantastic." She tossed the card aside and held her hair. "The race isn't even my biggest problem right now," she grumbled in a quiet voice. But it wasn't so quiet that Lulana didn't pick up what she said.

"Is there anything bothering you Miss?" Lulana asked softly.

Czarina's chest tightened as she remembered her mother's words from a few days ago. She aggresively brushed her hair back with her fingers and exhaled. "You wouldn't understand at the moment." Czarina placed her elbows on her table and rested her chin in her palms. She huffed and closed her eyes. Czarina opened them when she heard a tiny gasp. She looked at Lulana and saw her waving the card about in the air. "What is it?"

"There's something written behind the letter. I can see it if I raise it to the light."

Czarina turned her head around. "And?"

Lulana held the letter to the bulb for a few seconds before she said, "it says, "In my first hand is Humpty, in my second hand is Dumpty. In a factory on a wall, I sit, I stand, I drop, and I crack. I am many, but not five much. I am Humpty Dumpty. Now count me.""

Czarina snorted deeply. "Well that's easy," she said, turning back to face her front. She folded her arms on the table and placed her head on her arms.