VIII. Science Fiction Thriller

╔═════ ▓▓ ࿇ ▓▓ ═════╗
Science Fiction Thriller
╚═════ ▓▓ ࿇ ▓▓ ═════╝

Science Fiction Thriller incorporates hypothetical, science-based themes into the plot of the film. Traditionally, a Science Fiction film will incorporate heroes, villains, unexplored locations, fantastical quests, and advanced technology. These elements can be used in a Science Fiction Thriller to create anticipation and suspense. Often, this sub-genre will explore the "future-gone-bad" theme, including plots that revolve around alien invasions, dystopian scenarios, and super-diseases.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Sci-fi and Thriller Genre Convections

•SETTINGS•
The setting for a sci-fi and thriller genre have to apply to both the genres. For example a setting that is usually used for a sci-fi genre are different perspectives such as out of space or different points in life. A good example of a sci-fi film is 'Sunshine' which uses settings such as space to connote their genre. Whereas a sci-fi thriller genre will tend to have a mixture of different perspective's and a clash of thriller, a fearful excitement such as suspension and tension. It would be set in a urban, believable area instead of space.This will gain audience attention as they will be familiar to the setting and engage in to it.

PROPS
Props are used to show the audience what the characters are doing and outlines the storyline. Prop conventions that are used show the background of the characters and what they are/what they do. Technology used in sci-fi films such as intellectual machinery are props to show the audience what the film is based on and what aspects they should look out for. In thriller films props that are used are weapons, search tools and fake blood.

CLOTHING
The clothing is key in sci-fi and thriller films as it establishes what social class they are and what occupation they have. A thriller film that show the social class and occupation of the character is 'Shutter island'. We can see that the protagonist character's are stereotyped to be detectives. The shirt and formal trousers show this.

MAIN CHARACTER
- The protagonist characters in the two genres vary. We see this as in sci-fi films they have different type of styles.
- The time, location and time period all have a part in this as if it has shots of the future, we know that it is a sci-fi thriller, whereas if it is in the present and it is revolving around the current time we know it is a thriller film.
- The protagonists in both genre's tend to be quite similar as they are introduced in the beginning and are known to be the main character asthe storyline is based around them and revolve around their actions and filmed from their perspective.

THE CRISIS
The crisis of the film is usually based on the genre. We know that is the crisis revolves around murder and killing, it tends to be a horror film. Whereas if the crisis is possession, ghosts, spirits, suspense and paranormal activities we know that this is a thriller convention as they are used to create the storyline. The crisis in a sci-fi film usually is based around a extraordinary idea such as robots in space.

════════ ××× ════════

Sources of information:
h

ttps://thescriptlab.com/screenplay/genre/986-thriller/

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/haverstockmedia/scifi-thriller-genre#:~:text=%20Whereas%20a%20sci-fi,believable%20area%20instead%20of%20space.