0.9

it's raining. a lot. zayn was only under it for a few seconds, but he is completely drenched. he could honestly cry right now, because he doesn't have a car, he still has to go grocery shopping, he has to pick his sister up in a few hours, and cook dinner, and clean, and make up with harry, and— and—

"zayn!" he hears harry yell. he sees their car in front of him, so he quickly hurries over and gets in.

"you're a lifesaver, h," zayn mumbles, turning up the heating. he waits for harry to start driving, but he doesn't. zayn looks at harry and sees him taking off his sweater, leaving him in just a white shirt.

"change into this. you'll get sick if you don't," harry says, handing zayn his sweater. zayn hesitates for a moment, but does change either way. it isn't until zayn has changed that harry starts driving.

"thank you, i love you." zayn leans over and presses a kiss on harry's cheek.

"i know you do," harry replies, and zayn would be lying if he said it didn't feel like a punch in his gut. why didn't harry say it back? "i love you, a lot, too," harry adds after a while. "why— were you standing in the rain?"

"because i missed the bus, and louis is still in class, and no one else has a fucking car," zayn grumbles, wiping his face with the sleeve of harry's sweater.

"you could— you could have called me, zee. y'know i would have picked you up," harry says, looking at zayn from the corners of his eyes.

"i thought you were still mad."

"i'm— i never was."

"you sure did act like it," zayn scoffs, staring out the window. "wal's coming over, and staying the weekend," he announces, but just as he does, his phone rings. waliyha's name on display. he answers immediately. "hi! did you get on the train yet?"

"yeah, but, um, 'm going home, zee. mummy, papa asked me to come. they're leaving next week, and they wanted to see us before leaving," waliyha softly says, assuming zayn wasn't invited.

"oh. they— they didn't call me," zayn mumbles sadly. he doesn't know what he did wrong, but his parents haven't contacted him in months, and last time he tried, they yelled at him. he didn't try again after that.

"they didn't? i'm sorry, i didn't know that," she sincerely apologises. "and i'm sorry i can't come this weekend, but i promise i'll spend christmas with you. alright?"

"i won't be home for christmas," zayn lies. "listen, i've got to go. talk to you later. bye." he hangs up without waiting for an answer. "drive home, please."

"what happened?" harry asks, placing his hand on zayn's thigh, squeezing it softly.

"i don't know," zayn sighs, placing his own hand on top of harry's. it has been so long since zayn has even been this close to harry, so merely holding his hand, feels like a blessing itself.

"where are you going for christmas?" harry spares zayn a quick glance, before looking at the road again. all the other boys are going home, and from what harry caught of zayn's conversation with waliyha, he won't be going to bradford. he decides that if zayn is going to be home, then he'll take him to cheshire, to spend christmas with harry's family.