Chapter 16 The Games

My parents did come a month later, as promised. They collected their small belongings and clothes. They left all the furniture.

Another month passed, and school started up. I showed Nate around, just as I had promised him I would. We had all the same classes.

Danny never came back to school. I've heard rumors that he ran away. Nobody cares, though.

The 'Lucky 13' still ruled the school hallways. Nate was now as important to the group as Danny had once been. Nate was a good find.

The whole school knew about he and I. Only the 13 know we share a place. We get along great and we've never been in a fight.

"I love you," I said to Nate. I rested my head on his shoulder. Madaline made a heart with her fingers and held it up to us.

Nate kissed the side of my head. He put his arm around me. I scooted in closer to him.

"Look at you two, all grown up," Perry said. Perry had started going out with Andrew. Everyone had been expecting it.

"I could say the same to you," I told her. Andrew leaned in and kissed Perry's cheek.

The 13 of us were all sitting at a huge table in Josh's garage. We had four packs of playing cards. We each had sixteen cards.

"Let's play War," Madaline suggested. We call nodded agreement.

"We already have the cards passed out, so it works," Xavier said.

We started to play War. I got into a war with Steven. We each slapped down three cards and put the fourth one on top. I had a 4 and Steven had a 6.

"Dammit!" I cried.

"What did you lose?" Perry asked. I flipped over the three cards to see a 3, a 9, and my joker!

"Dammit! I quit!" I threw my cards onto the table. I almost always rage quit. Nate was laughing.

"You're adorable when you're mad," Nate said. I crossed my arms.

I watched the rest of them play. Josh ran out of cards. So did Steven, Madaline, and Anna. Tanya and Perry got into a war. Perry won. Nate ran out of cards.

Rachel beat Parker in a war. Perry took Andrew's last card with hers. Perry beat Rachel and Daryl in a 3 way war. It was down to Perry and Xavier.

"On the count of three," I said. "1......2......3!" Perry and Xavier slapped their cards down.

"Dammit!" Perry had slapped down a King. Xavier slapped down an Ace. He had won.
-
"Let's play Hide and Seek," Daryl suggested.

"That's for little kids," Andrew said.

"No, no. Not just plain old hide and seek. Partner hide and seek. Everybody gets a partner and you hide. One person out of all of us will be the seeker. The partners will hide in two separate places. You can move to avoid being caught. If one partner is caught, they become a seeker. If both are caught, they get pushed into the pool together. The last person or team standing gets the honor of pushing the losers in. The seeker then gets pushed in also."

"That sounds fun. Let's turn the lights off while we play," I suggested.
-
We had all paired up. I was with Perry. Perry took off towards the back room of the house. I went towards the garden shed.
-
At the end, Nate and Andrew were the first team to lose. Madaline was the seeker. Perry had been found, but not me. I got to push them all into the pool.

It was a great day.