Chapter 64

A day had gone by after Yeonjun's death. The sobs of the island had ceased, but as their tears dewed the leaves on those tall trees in the jungle, as puddles softened the dried earth, as little flowers fed off the grief and bloomed, the grief of those who Yeonjun impacted had not ceased. . . And if you asked them, they may never find a way to cease this type of monsoon.

However, they were able to at least contain their grief for a little longer, for as long as the stars in that dark night sky stayed glistening as brightly as they were. As the echoes of comfort murmured little syllables against the falling leaves, the moon rose high above the sky, its full figure getting rid of the dark shadows of the jungle to light up a certain path for two tribes to travel through.

Grieving warriors from both Earth Tribe and Fire Tribe used that light to march through that underused path, their footsteps resonated against the secretive whispers of the night, cracking twigs and pushing away stones with their feet as they carried a fallen warrior whose death had been placed as a blessing yet seen as a curse to the four little ones trying to hide away their overflowing eyes.

Through that march, two leaders led both of their tribes through that narrow path covered by the undergrowth. They knew their way, but the struggles of moving through the overgrown ferns, and flowers being overthrown by weeds, gave way to the fact that neither of the two leaders had to walk through the pathway too often. . . Which made this journey even more difficult for their hearts to take than it already seemed to be.

However, their pain didn't matter as the soul of this fallen warrior, one that was still lingering amongst the darkness of the island's night, needed to be put to rest.

As the warriors neared their destination, the undergrowth gave way to the sight of a swamp laying peacefully against the calm of the night. Its murky water lay dormant as dried up lilies floated against the mold within the water, their dried up petals being suffocated by the moss that was slowly taking over the place. Cattails surrounded the shape of the swamp too, their stems quietly dancing along the melancholic dance of the night's frozen air as little mosquitoes buzzed from one stem, completely intrigued by the cluster of warriors at the swamp.

Jagged stones could also be differentiated against the cold air, their tall, moss-covered figures casting large shadows as their surfaces captured and stole away the moonlight that seeped through the trees. And from those jagged stones, little stepping stones were birthed; their perfectly round shape being flattened down at the very top so creatures such as deers or monkeys could step onto them to drink whatever water was left available at the swamp.

As they came to a fair distance, Taehyung and Jungkook halted. Taehyung lifted one of his fists halfway up and the two tribes stopped marching right behind him. Taehyung then gazed over at Jungkook, seeing how his olive eyes filled with awe and longing as he gazed at the little swamp just before him. Turns out that this little place had once been special to the son of the moon. Jungkook had come here a few times before; he'd been here during the time of need where he needed to seek help from the moon, to see his forbidden love during his forgetful youth. . . And to say farewell to the old Elementals when it became too dangerous for them to raise their young at the island.

This place was his only and last connection to the moon; to the never-ending dimensions in his universe, to the galaxies that he once ruled over when he was considered to be a prince. This was a place for sons and fathers, mothers and daughters, siblings and friends to say farewell or seek guidance when they were lost in the path of their life.

And tonight, Fire Tribe and Earth Tribe will be using this place to say farewell.

Jungkook choked back his memories with a deep breath and looked up at the moon. His hands, which had come together to carry a sacred object for tonight's ceremony, parted to reveal a white moonflower. He lifted the flower up as if offering it to the moon as his eyes closed and his lips parted to sing a melody that would lure the mystic beauty back to this old, forsaken swamp.