24• get him back

VIOLET:
the first week in school without Matthew was being a total hell to me. we had too much exams to do and i needed to focus, but Matthew was in my mind every single second! should i go to the hospital? no, he probably doesn't remember me yet! Gabriel, Luke and Zachary went there some times. they told me he was doing fine, but they didn't say anything about his memory. i got a good grade in most of the exams, but i wasn't eating or sleeping well, i was too anxious and i needed to see how he was. i called his mother to see if she could take me there.
"Vi, of course i can. but please don't be too disappointed if he still doesn't remember. believe me, he's trying." she said, before turning off the phone.
i could feel the pain in her voice, it must be horrible to see your own son in that situation. she went to my house and took me to the hospital.
"is he awake?" i asked.
"yeah, just be careful. he's still too scared." the nurse answered.
i walked through the hallway and opened the door.
"hey! Violet, right?" he asked, with a silly smile.
that smile is so precious...
"hi! yes, it's me! you remember my name!" i replied, walking to his bed.
"yeah, i guess i do. i'm sorry! i'm trying to remember i swear!" he said.
"shh! it's okay! don't focus on that now! i'll find a way to make you remember me." i said, touching his broken leg.
"but i want answers! i'm tired of people not telling me things! if you are really my girlfriend, please tell me!" he begged.
he might not remember me, but he could still manipulate my emotions.
"i want to, i really do! but the doctor said we cannot expose you to big shocks!" i replied, holding my tears.
"it's okay." he said, putting his hand on mine.
i decided to say something to make him stop feeling bad, talk about another subject.
"wow, there are holes in your arm! what are these tubes for?" i asked.
"oh, i'm gonna try to explain. so, the white tube is where they put my sleeping medication every night, so i can have a full night of sleep without waking up in pain, i barely feel anything when they inject it, because i fall asleep in seconds! the green one is for my leg, the medicine helps on its recuperation, it doesn't hurt, but it's kinda of uncomfortable to stay with my leg in this position! but this red tube is definitely the worst!" he explained.
"why?" i asked, smiling.
"it's where they inject the day painkiller. it really works because i spend the whole day without feeling pain in my cuts and when they have to clean it to change the bandages, i don't feel them burning. but the injection is so painful, it makes me scream." he answered.
"those are a lot of medicines!" i said.
"yeah, but at least i'm doing okay!" he replied.
"i'm glad you're okay." i said.
"do you wanna draw in my broken leg?" he asked, giving me a pen.
"sure!" i answered.
i got the pen and went to draw. i saw the drawings that the boys left. Gabriel drew two boys, Zachary wrote "get well soon" and Luke drew... a dick! okay, nothing weird out here! i decided to draw a small heart and write "i love you" next to it.
"i'm done." i said, giving him the pen.
"thanks!" he replied.
"Matthew, i love you so much! please don't force yourself to remember me right now, okay? we'll go through this together." i said, kissing his hand.
"i don't remember you, but i trust you,Vi." he said.
"yay, you're calling me Vi again!" i said, hugging him.
he didn't say anything, just smiled a little and touched my hair. suddenly, the nurse and the doctor came in the room.
"i'm gonna inject the painkiller so we can change your bandages." the nurse said, looking at Matthew.
"oh, okay. should i go away?" i asked.
"you choose!" the doctor answered.
i looked at Matthew. his eyes were focused on my body. he's perfect, i'll do anything to get him back!
"i want her to stay!" Matthew said.
"okay, i will." i said.
"well, protect your ears because this boy screams!" the nurse joked.
"this medicine hurts!" he shouted, making me laugh.
"i'll get the new bandages, just a minute." the doctor said, leaving the room.
the nurse got the red tube and put on the medicine.
"are you ready?" she asked.
"it's gonna hurt..." he mumbled.
"hey, hold my hand! it'll be fast i promise!" i said, touching his shoulder.
"i'm glad you're here. okay, inject it." he said, holding my hand.
the nurse looked down and then injected the liquid in his veins. i felt his body shaking, while he almost crushed my hand.
"urgh!" he mumbled.
"okay, it's over. just wait 5 minutes until it starts making effect." the nurse said, leaving the room.
"i'm sorry, i think i hurt your hand!" he said.
"no, don't worry about me! see? you did it! i know it was painful but you've been through worse!" i said.
"like what?" he asked.
"when you defended me from Noah and he broke your nose." i answered.
"Noah? from science class? why would i fight him?" he asked.
"don't you remember when... oh, forget it, you don't remember anything we went through." i said, sitting on the sofa.
"i'm sorry. but it seems like i've always cared for you! and wow!" he replied.
"what?" i asked.
"if you're really my girlfriend, i'm tasteful!" he answered.
"i love you." i said, standing up and walking in his direction.
i held his face with my hands and kissed his forehead.