CHAPTER 54

Maryam's POV

"Bitch!"

Before I had time to react, what accompanied the yell was a tight slap on my face that sent me stumbling away from the threshold of the door, giving Zainab space to enter the house.

I held my cheek as the tears of shock and pain began to form in my eyes. The fast approaching footsteps told me that Yusuf was rushing towards me so I quickly wiped away the tears and released my cheek so he wouldn't know what just happened.

"Maryam!" Yusuf held my face in his hands but I was unable to look into his eyes and from the way he reacted, I know it was already too late, he knew.

"I'm fine, I'm fine..." I placed my hands on his chest, blocking his way to Zainab who was standing by the closed door behind me.

His voice was low as his eyes trained on Zainab with a look I've never seen in them before. "I don't want to know why you're here and I don't want to do something I'll regret, so leave."

Zainab scoffed and when I had a good look at her this time, I saw just how much it is she has changed. Her whole body looked shrivelled, sucked of every healthy looking piece of flesh and replaced by a dry and bony exterior that robbed her of that glow that had always been on her face.

I can only imagine what had done that was one of her diets but I was also sure the reason behind the diet had more to do with the hurt she was going through than the need to lose weight. And a dagger plunged through me knowing I was the reason she was in this state.

"I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what she is doing here!" Zainab pointed at me, making me shrink into Yusuf's side feeling helplessly pathetic.

"Maryam is my wife, she's in her house with her husband so you are the one who needs to tell us what you are doing here, because you're the one who's out of place."

"Wife!?" Zainab's tone darkened and I noticed the single tear that slipped from her eye, "Yusuf, we're soon going to get married, I'm going to be your wife. Not her."

The way Yusuf looked at her was the same way you'd look at a mad woman. Eyes filled with disgust and confusion and repulsion. He held me close to him and made Zainab's eyes travel to the spot where his arm was wound around my lower back and running to my waist.

"Get out of my house." Yusuf stated in a no nonsense way and I wish he would at least talk to Zainab in a milder tone. "I have nothing to say to you."

"I'm not going anywhere until I show her her place!" Zainab came at me and shoved me so hard that I left Yusuf's side and my back hit the wall.

Yusuf hurried to step in front of us and shielded me as Zainab planned to take lethal steps towards me and do things to me that I'd rather not know.

She clawed at him as if he was a wall and I in absolute shock of what was happening in front of me, closed my eyes and blocked my ears, just wanting to make everything disappear.

"You're completely out of your mind Zainab!" Yusuf's voice thundered, making me shut my eyes tighter and press my hands harder to my ears to block out the terrifying sound but it still wasn't enough. I still could hear him and with each word he uttered, my heart beat louder that I feared it would explode.

"I don't love you! When will you understand this! And seeing how you're behaving, you don't love me either, you're just obsessed with me! I told you again and again that I already love my wife! I will not tolerate your nonsense! So place a single finger on my wife one more time again and—"