Kabanata 5

Kabanata 5

Playmate

The rugged Andra that I met yesterday was like that anymore. She looks so carefree, ecstatic and gorgeously smiling while watering the plants.

She wants me to teach her how. Tinuruan ko naman ito.

"I'll tell Mama about plants. I want a garden," she said and pouted.

"Just take care of your plants, Andra. It might die when you neglect it. It wil get hurt."

I rubbed her soft hair. Umungot ang magandang bata bago humarap sa akin at tumingala.

"Does plants have a feelings?"

Marahan kong tumango sa kanya. Her forehead creased at tila hindi yata niya na intindihan ang aking sinabi.

"Plants do have a feelings to Andra. They are also like us. They need water, shelter, sun."

"And I am like a baby plant!" she gladly declared.

After watering the plant, we decided to get inside the house. Nagluto ako for her brunch. While she is busy eating, I took the time to call Clay.

Mayamaya lang ay sumagot na ito.

"Ate Reese..." He seems off today.

"Kamusta ka na, Clay?"

Tumikhim ito sa kabilang linya.

"May konting sinat lang po ako, Ate but don't worry inaalagaan po ako ni Tiya Lucing dito."

Nalungkot ako dahil sa kalagayan niya. I should be the one taking care of my brother. Pero, hindi na naiibang tao si Tiya Lucing. She's just like a mother to us too.

"Take your medicine, Clay. Take care of yourself while I am away. H-Hindi ko alam kung kailan ako makababalik riyan but I promise."

Clay ended up the call since he need to take his medicine na. Nakausap ko rin ng konti si Tiya Lucing asking her to take care of Clay.

Nangumusta rin ako sa plantasyon. She said it was fine and doing good. She picked some flower in our botanical garden and sell it.

I searched for Andra after the call. Wala na ito sa may kusina o kahit sa dining. Wala rin sa living room. I walked upstairs. Then, I saw her inside my room. Nagsusuklay ito ng kanyang buhok.

"Andra..." I trailed.

"I already finished my foods!"

Huminga ako ng malalim bago sinarado ang pintuan.

She wants me to brush her soft and silky hair. Tahimik lang kami. I admire her eyes. It was deep yet no emotions can be seen. She's doing good hiding it in such a young age. Hindi ko alam kung anong klaseng pangyayari ang kaniyang pinagdaanan.

"Tita Reese, have you ever felt abandoned?"

I was shocked at her question. My mouth heavily parted. Hindi pa tuluyang nag sink in sa utak ko ang sinabi nito.

"Have you?" ulit nito.

Ngumiti ako ng mapait. Suddenly, memory of my parents accident came back in a snap.

"My parents both die during a car crash, Andra. I am with them that time. I woke up feeling empty and alone, abandoned."

Walang luha ang tumulo. Maybe I am tired of crying. Tapos na kasi iyon nakaraan na. Even if I mourn in a lifetime, they won't comeback.

"You said we are like plants... but I was neglected, Tita Reese. I was raised without a father."

Yumuko ako at hinarap siya.