04 - storm

The loud roars from the dark clouds filled the night, and the heavy sounds of big droplets of rain as they hit the roof echoed through her ears.

Ahrin had her head buried under her pillow, her whole body tucked into her thick pink duvet as she was curled up underneath.

Lightning flashes, and then angry thunder comes after.

The poor girl shrieked for the nth time, trembling and clutching the pillow closer to her head as much as possible.

It was two years before.

That exact date where all of her happiness was wiped out in a single blow.

It was the same day when her little brother was born and celebrated his 14th birthday when the family went out for a camping trip.

It was the exact day when the camping site accidentally fired up, and just several people lived, including her.

She remembered it suddenly raining, until lightning landed on a huge tree, burning it down.

She remembered it as a storm.

After two years of agony, it filled her heart with hatred.

why the deities pulled her up to live, and not just burning down with her family.

A scream left on her lips.

She needs someone.

She knows she does.

But who?

Her mind raked to everybody she at least knew and was close to, but they couldn't make it that far just to be with her.

So she took a long, deep breath, slowly crawling out of the sheets.

Ahrin jumped back on her bed when lightning flashed, covered her ears, and, as expected, loud thunder came in.

"You need to..." she mumbled on her shaky breaths.

She hopped off, pulled the drawers open, and grabbed the candle and the lighter.

Lighting it up, thunder suddenly rushed in.

"JISUNG!" she yelled in intense fright, hard exhales blowing out the fire.

The demon showed up.

"WHAT?" he halted, eyes on the floor where the crying girl is.

His narrowed eyes soften.

Angry burst on his chest, fading.

"Ahrin?" he softly called out and crouched beside her.

"Ji," she shakily whispered.

"Hello," and he was cut with another roaring sound.

"AH!" Ahrin threw herself on him, Jisung in a light panic, yet he caught her right on time.

He felt her trembling body, restless from the amount of tears she poured out.

"Ahrin, stop crying."

"I'm scared," she mumbled on his chest.

Jisung is mentally cussed for how damn hell he doesn't know what to do.

brows furrowed, he raked to his last active brain cells.

What to do?

Not until a thunder came in and she screamed, and as if his body were his own mind, he hugged her tight.

Jisung's eyes widened in fraction. She was also surprised by his action but also heard her cries lessen.

Is this the right thing?

Still confused, but he stayed still.

He looked stiff, honestly, with just his arms tightly wrapping around her weakened body.

Ahrin sighed in relief, feeling his warmth surrounding her.

She felt safe.

Although it is funny to say that demons can provide a certain security, she longs to have.

"Umm, Ahrin? Shouldn't you go back to bed?" he asked, but all he got was a nod.

But she's not moving.

"Umm Ahrin?"

"I'm tired, Ji," she breathed out.

Deciding, Jisung held her securely, then slowly stood up, carrying her.

He then settled himself on the bed, his upper body leaning on the headboard. Ahrin was still on top of him.

A contented sigh left on her lips as she leaned closer to his touches.

Not long after, the two dozed off, with the rain as their lullaby.