one

{Y/N POV}

"Just get out!" I heard my sister scream.

This may seem cliche, but Jen is my older step-sister. For some odd reason, Jen thinks she is the boss of me and can basically rule me.

I quickly grabbed my book, Gone With the Wind and ran outside. I was going to the park to go read.

I walked, I had no other choice. Yes, I was a soc but I wasn't old enough to drive, I was only 15. Even though I am not a greaser, I still feel bad for them. Glory, they can't walk the streets without being in fear for their own lives.

About half way there, it started raining. Of course. I picked up my speed a little and found a tree that would shield me from the rain.

A couple of water droplets hit the page as I read. I looked up from my reading trance to find a boy who looked about my age, waking in the rain.

It was staring to rain harder, so I got my book and decided to leave. I could still see the unknown boy in the distance.

Then I felt electricity fill my body. Not the kind you feel when you are excited either. Then I hit the ground. That's the only thing I remember before blacking out.

{Soda POV}

Steve and I were just about done at the DX for the day.

We got into his truck and started to drive home. But while we passed the park, something caught my eye.

"Hold on, Steve pull over."
"What?"

I got out of the car and started running towards what looked like Pony.

As we got closer I could see that it most definitely was him.

"Oh my god, Steve call Darry!"

Steve ran to the pay phone and I closely examined him. Lighting. He was struck by lightning.

"Scratch that, Steve call 911!"

Soon enough the ambulance arrived. I climbed into the back of it.

"Did you see it happen son?"
"No." I said, a single tear rolling down my cheek.

Was I going to loose Pony like this? Is this how it ends?

Maybe if I had left work just a little earlier we would've saw him, and he would've been fine.

"Guys! Pony's not the only one!" Steve yelled from outside.
"What do you me-" just as I stated to talk I could see a girl who looked around Pony's age. She was too, struck by lightning.

I told Steve to go with the girl, and I would ride with Ponyboy.

•••

The whole gang showed up at the hospital. We all waited anxiously for answers. I just wanted him to be ok.

"Hey, c'mon man, it's gonna be ok." I could hear Dallas comforting Darry across the hall.

I felt awful for Darry in these situations. Pony didn't know it, but Darry would always beat himself up for things like this. Darry always feels like he's failed Pony.

"Mr. Curtis?" I heard the doctor call Darry.
"Yes doctor?"

I stood back, but Darry motioned for me to come over to them.

"So, your brother," he started. "There's no telling if he will wake up."

My face practically melted. He might not wake up?

This is one of the only times I've saw Darry close to tears. As soon as the doctor walked away, he broke.

Darrel Curtis couldn't even stand himself for letting this happen.